• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear wheel bearings....

DeadHead420

NAXJA Forum User
rear wheel bearings...

Ok, Can somone hook me up with some info? , How do i check and replace , would it be the same procedure as front wheel bearing? , it says nothing about it in my Hanes manual , thanks alot fellas

Jack and support rear axle.
Remove wheel, tire & brake drum
Depending on skills, you may want to remove brake shoes
Remove diff cover and drain oil
Remove 'C' clips from axle ends
Slide axle shafts out
Use seal puller to remove axle seals
Slide hammer to remove bearings or very long pipe to knock out from other side (requires removing carrier)

Good luck and have fun

That's assuming you have a C-clip axle. If you do not, you don't need to open the differential. You can usually get away with jacking up the side you're working on - make it about four inches higher than the other side so you don't lose oil. You will, however, need to press the new bearing on and off - the outer race usually just pulls out with finger pressure.

How hard is it to do on a 29spline chrysler 8.25? I can do the front ones in an hour each, but I've never messed with the rear drum brakes. I've got a bit of rumbling back there now and I'm not sure what it is but I gave midas a free test drive a shot. They told me my brakes were fine but my rear end as shot and it'd be $700. I walked out and went home with the diff fluid I already bought from auto zone earlier that day. :rof: Anyways, I've got the diff fluid cause i was going to change the fluid anyways. It could be from my wire tires....who knows. Any thoughts?

Back