• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dome light problems...

GreedyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
well i have replaced both door jam switches and the headlight switch and i'm still having problems with my interior/dome light...they will work about 60% of the time.

any ideas???

TIA
Greedy

Did you replace the door switches with new or used pins. Check your dome light itself. Not the bulb but the actual dome light housing. Mine(befor I replaced it) had melted connectors that would only work when it wanted to. If I taped it it would turn on. Another idea is to take off you dome light(take down and unplug it), hook a meter up to the wires. Open and close the door (push and release the pin) and make sure that the light is actually getting power 100% of the time when it is suppose to.

both door jam switches and headlight switch new...i'll start with voltage to the dome lights first and try to trace it to the source this weekend hopefully...

So you think it could be the wire to dome light clips? i have jiggled it around with no luck?

is there a common ground for the dome/foot lights?

it's a 89 btw...

door jams have a single pole mount is that ground or 12volts

I forgot to add when i open the doors with the jeep running and no domelight comes on the digital clock fades out and stops...

That makes it sound like you have a ground problem. The door pins are the gound for the light. When the door is opened the pin pops out and gronds the light. I would check all your ground to make sure they are all there, clean, and tight.

Back