• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cross over steering question

Jeepguy91

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Just wondering if somebody could give me some insight on cross over steering. Is this something that i could benefit from on my xj thats lifted 4.5" and only gets used on trail runs and maybe some road driving? What exactly does it do for the steering and what else would i have to change for it? Pretty much asking what it does and what all would be involved in putting it on my xj.

Thanks,
Ben

JNickel101 said:

but that is not a crossover steering setup.....it is an inverted-T steering system.

in a crossover steering system, the tie rod and drag link do not connect directly to each other. the benefits of that are, when you make suspension changes to your rig, it does not affect your toe settings (like in an inverted-Y steering setup) and there is no problems with the tie rod rolling causing a dead spot (like in some inverted-T setups).

I prefer a good crossover setup using the Tera knuckle. here's mine:

IMG_0908.JPG

(tera knuckle, goferit flips, WJ TREs, JKS links)

Depends who you talk to - lots of people refer to the JCR setup as cross-over....

I'm with you Randy, I love your setup and plan to model mine after that - I just wanna know where you got that Truss and Over Axle Trackbar bracket :)

(I'm going with WJ knuckles so I can upgrade to WJ brakes)

Last edited:
Jeepguy91 said:
Just wondering if somebody could give me some insight on cross over steering. Is this something that i could benefit from on my xj thats lifted 4.5" and only gets used on trail runs and maybe some road driving? What exactly does it do for the steering and what else would i have to change for it? Pretty much asking what it does and what all would be involved in putting it on my xj.

Thanks,
Ben

Like Randy said, crossover steering is simply having the drag link and the tie rod both mounted directly to the knuckle. The real question when looking to upgrade XJ steering is what the goals are. Potential goals are stronger components to resist bending, stronger joints to resist premature wear, different joints to allow more misalignment, better angle for the drag link, higher up to avoid getting hit by rocks.

No setup, either crossover, inverted Y, or inverted T, is absolutely perfect. Which one is better depends on the goals. I run both inverted Y and inverted T, and I've run crossover. Clearance and angles are the main issues, rather than the style.

Back