• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 fluid change

hillbillyjake

NAXJA Forum User
just aquired a 96. i am wanting to change alll the fluids (rear/front end, trans tranfer). i assume the front and rear ends take 90 weight, but what about the trans and transfer. do they take atf.

front; d35
rear; 8.25
trans; aw5????
transfer; 231j

are there any other common problems that i need to check?

BTW, 4.0 w/152k

thanks
jake

Need to know which trans-Auto will take Dextron/Mercon III. NOT any ATF+
5 spd AX-15 takes a gear oil-GL3 spec,Redline or Royal Purple make a good lube ,DO NOT use a gear lube that has sulpher additivies it will eat the syncros.
Transfer case uses the same fluid as the auto transmission.

Wayne

So i have a 87 wagoneer and just got into an arguement about tranny fluid there... They almost refused to sell me Dex III. I have read on here and my bud told me to use Dex III. They wanted to sell me ATF +3 becuase that is what is in there computer. I just want a lil more verification from all you JEEPERS out there. What is the best for my OLD jeep.

THanks

ROb

Pull the carpet back and make sure the floor pan is not rusting out yet. This is a common problem.

Back