• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pulled t case drop, and a new kinda clunking/rumbling noise....

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
any one pull a t case drop off and have weird noises afterward? im running a 4* shim with a 3.5" lift and pulled the t case drop after installing the shims. i pulled my t case drop and now i have a weird clunking noise or a rattling. the exhaust mounts broke off it seemed after the drop kit and would make a rattling noise i got used to. do you think after pulling the drop it could have intensified since the exhuast is now snug against stuff it used to clear and since its loose it makes this kinda terrible noise, almost like a scratching or a rumbling noise, almost sounds like brakes are suddenly really bad, but they obviously arent. a little confused?

blondejoncherokee said:
a little confused?

Uh...yeah, me too....

if your exhaust mounts are broken, fix them!

id hate to put the drop back in, i worked so hard to make sure i could get rid of it.... damn....ill do the exhuast mounts today. after inspection all of the linkage clears and doesnt rub. i have no idea what the rubbing/clunking could be the more look at it, as i see it, i fixed the problem of the crappy drop so it should be better off, not worse with a new clunk....damn jeep

oh and yah, its only when it starts, and when i put it in gear its pretty much fine...

took it off cuz when i swapped in the xj 44 last week i threw some 4* steel RE shims under the packs in anticipation of pulling the drop. its a weak point in the drivetrain, just measly aluminum spacers, and it was 1.5" (bought it that way) so that way i could gain that clearance back, plus im going to 31's with lock right/aussie from the 33's open/open, and that extra inch i lost i wanted to make up for. plus i hated looking at those crap aluminum cylinder spacers. i think it might be the exhuast rubbing on the tranny from what i can tell so far, but who knows. worse come to worse i throw the spacers back on and pull the 4* shims. im not looking forward to that though...

and i have a retubed and 1" longer driveshaft with new u joints with a yj slip yoke and want to utilize the length of my new shaft....

im at about 3* at the t case u jount and 1.5* at the pinion u joint too, seems perfect if i can get it to stop that noise...

ok so i think i figured it out, due to the drop the tranny and t case exhaust mounts are busted causing a rattling noise. on top of that the pass side e brake cable was riding on the muffler! melting it a bit. so a couple zip ties quickly fixed that. ive been wanting new exhuast anyway, so i think im gonna take it in one of these days here and get it done. i think when you pull the drop it hugs the t case crossmember back up against the exhuast causing the vibes and loud noise upon starting. i thoroughly checked the underside with the veichle running and this is all i found. any one have their tcase drop instructions? we should basically undo all of that, my had the drop on it so no instructions for me. its also possible that my t case tranny mount may be bad, but i doubt it , i recently replaced it with a newer used one...

Could also be the transfer case lever...I know mine rattles sometimes at idle and a slight adjustment seems to help it for awhile.

Back