• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help

96XJ33's

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys hows it going? Ok i just my 96 cherokee but its only a 2wd... it is lifted on 4.5" rubicon express lift and 33 inch tires and the amount the guy was asking for was way to good to let slip by... now the only thing is like i said its 2wd... so i cant do all the fun stuff that i wasnt planning on doing but since ive joined NAXJA thats all i want to do... so i can get on some good trails but i cant go to all of them.... so how hard would it be to convert to a 4wd? what parts would i need... im a good mechanic so i can do i all myself... but i dont know much about jeeps so if anyone knows what i need for the full conversion i would really appreciate it... all suggestions will help me out... thanks guys

Don't quote me, but my understanding is that the AW4 had two (or more) output shafts. The shafts on the 2wd will not mate up to the input on the t-case (again, this is only second/third hand info). So to convert you would essentially need at least a donor 4wd AW4 and an appropriate t-case to mate up to it.

true statement helped taylor with his conversion needed new tranny cause the tail cone is different. What a pain in the a$$ that was. Think the problem was that I was sober

It's really easy, just find a 1996 AW4 that is 4 wheel drive. My swap was kind of a PITA, but I was doing more than just converting it over to 4 wheel drive. I threw and 8.8 in the mix, along with a re-gear, closed to open cooling conversion, new head, and some other crap I forgot to mention.

Justin

So to recap: 4x4 AW4, NP231, front drive axle and drive shaft and a sweet 4x4 sticker :D

BlackSport96 said:
So to recap: 4x4 AW4, NP231, front drive axle and drive shaft and a sweet 4x4 sticker :D
definitely. Without the 4x4 stickers (or badges) it won't engage into 4WD. If you want to go on any trail runs, you'll also need to have one of these
trail_rated_4x4.jpg

Feel free to print this one out and glue it on the body panel of your choice. :thumbup::thumbup:

Welcome to the madness!!!!

bassthumb said:
definitely. Without the 4x4 stickers (or badges) it won't engage into 4WD. If you want to go on any trail runs, you'll also need to have one of these
trail_rated_4x4.jpg

Feel free to print this one out and glue it on the body panel of your choice. :thumbup::thumbup:

Welcome to the madness!!!!

Crap, that means I lost 4WD?! "We don't need no stinkin badges"

2325611783_7c3a77d6a6_o.jpg

Anyway, yeah it's totally doable.

2WD:
mattlift_before_corner03.jpg

4WD:
mattlift_after_corner01.jpg

sorry dude but you should have posted this thread in tech.

homebrew said:
true statement helped taylor with his conversion needed new tranny cause the tail cone is different. What a pain in the a$$ that was. Think the problem was that I was sober
ahh good times hahah dude i still owe u lunch, when u get back hit me up...

And, as you can see from mikedashg's pictures, just by doing a swap to 4wd you will also get an extra 5.5" of lift and increase your tire size by at least 5". :D

you'll need the rear ds too.

great time to install an SYE also, BEFORE the tcase goes in the Jeep.

Back