• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ Springs with shackles?

OZNAD

NAXJA Forum User
Is it true that if you use MJ leaf springs with a 5in Rubicon shackle and put them on an XJ you will be around 5.5in? is that height all from the shackle or do MJ springs have more arch? whatever ideas you have... thanks

whats with jeep people wanting to put ANYTHING that came in any non-xj jeep into an xj? it wasnt designed for it, it MAY work, if you enjoy the ghetto rigging, go fer it.
otherwise, get xj leafs
or at bare minimum, do the bastard pack

xcm said:
whats with jeep people wanting to put ANYTHING that came in any non-xj jeep into an xj? it wasnt designed for it, it MAY work, if you enjoy the ghetto rigging, go fer it.
otherwise, get xj leafs

relax man. i have mj shackles. they add about one inch, well, 3/4 lift, mj springs will work for a little bit more lift.

xcm said:
otherwise, get xj leafs

How is running MJ leaves in the rear ghetto rigging? There are benefits to using them. So I ghetto rigged my XJ by putting in YJ leaves up front and Ford full widths?

xcm said:
otherwise, get xj leafs

Sorry, dude, my rear XJ springs use 1/2 ton Chev packs with an MJ main leaf. Guess mine is ghetto rigged.

If you don't like the question, you don't have to answer it.

BTW, MJ leaves are 5" longer than XJ leaves, 57" vs 52", and they won't just bolt up. You would need to move the spring hangers. On mine, I made a new forward spring hanger that's 3" forward of the stock location, and then made my own boomerang shackle for the rear to handle the extra 2".

woody431 said:
How is running MJ leaves in the rear ghetto rigging? There are benefits to using them. So I ghetto rigged my XJ by putting in YJ leaves up front and Ford full widths?

Now that's ghetto rigged.

:D :D

from the original post, doesnt seem like hes planning on moving the hangers
so, yeah, MAKING something fit haphazardly, that doesnt, to save a few bucks is ghetto

if you did the work, and re designed your suspension to utilize non oem parts, your not doing a ghetto... in fact, want a cookie?

maybe i worded that wrong... but drop the pitchforks pls, i mean you no harm

Last edited:
I believe 2wd Comanche springs would give you something like 3in, then as well as any MJ shackle being longer will net you about an inch lift. Rusty's rate their 4.5" lift SUA for the Comanche to give a XJ about 10" SOA. So if that tells you anything.
I agree on the bastard pack concept but keep your main leaf and add the Comanche leafs. But I don't ever recommend this route unless you like a stiff, like read the date off a penny on the highway, type of ride.

xcm said:
from the original post, doesnt seem like hes planning on moving the hangers
so, yeah, MAKING something fit haphazardly, that doesnt, to save a few bucks is ghetto

if you did the work, and re designed your suspension to utilize non oem parts, your not doing a ghetto... in fact, want a cookie?

maybe i worded that wrong... but drop the pitchforks pls, i mean you no harm

Thought I was responding to your pitch fork.......

And the cookie comment, want to look me up and say that to my face?

But maybe you worded that wrong.

YOU made the generic negative comment about putting non-XJ parts on an XJ. That happens to be a major subject of discussion around here. I suggest we just move on........

OZNAD said:
Is it true that if you use MJ leaf springs with a 5in Rubicon shackle and put them on an XJ you will be around 5.5in? is that height all from the shackle or do MJ springs have more arch? whatever ideas you have... thanks

So let me get this right...

You heard that if a stock MJ spring...
Coupled to a 5" lift shackle ...
On a XJ
will yeild 5.5" of lift and which part is doing the lift?

Well, here's you sign :D

Seriously though. If you took a MJ spring, which is not arched any better than a stock XJ spring, but is longer. And put on a 5" lift shackle, which you would now need to find a place to hang it...

Besides the amount of work it would take to do such a thing... and that a 5" lift shackle is too darn long and would be unstable...
If you only got .5" of lift from the spring it would be a totally silly mod.

You would put on a longer spring to increase articulation. But I am not sure about the 5" lift shackle thing. It would accomidate the increased travel durring articulation, but I'm not sure about the total lift.

Goatman, you seem to be the MJ to XJ spring guru. Why did you install yours and did you add any lift shackles (I see you put on a boomarang)?

Ron

Last edited:
Some of the AZ guys do run really long shackles, which helps with a lot more droop. I don't know how long, but I'd bet I've seen them 7"-10" long. They don't use them for lift, just for travel, and they angle back. It seems to work fine, though I've never tried it. I don't know if you could run a shackle long enough to accomodate a 5" longer MJ spring, and if you could it would move the axle rearward 3"........and that wouldn't work on an XJ without major fender reworking.

My reason for using an MJ main leaf is simply to get a longer spring pack. A longer spring can allow more travel and more flex and still keep a good spring rate, and a better ride. Just a leverage thing. I used a slightly longer shackle, just like a normal extended shackle, but made it a boomerang so it would handle the extra 2" of spring length in the rear.

Last edited:
xcm said:
otherwise, get xj leafs
You wanna talk about ghetto rigging, ask Scott about my XJ. If you were to have seen it before we got the good stuff on, your head would've exploded...:D

Goatman said:
Some of the AZ guys do run really long shackles, which helps with a lot more droop. I don't know how long, but I'd bet I've seen them 7"-10" long. They don't use them for lift, just for travel, and they angle back. It seems to work fine, though I've never tried it. I don't know if you could run a shackle long enough to accomodate a 5" longer MJ spring, and if you could it would move the axle rearward 3"........and that wouldn't work on an XJ without major fender reworking.

My reason for using an MJ main leaf is simply to get a longer spring pack. A longer spring can allow more travel and more flex and still keep a good spring rate, and a better ride. Just a leverage thing. I used a slightly longer shackle, just like a normal extended shackle, but made it a boomerang so it would handle the extra 2" of spring length in the rear.

Seems to make sense to me.
So it would seem that it's not a 1 to 1 type of relationship Spring to Shackle ration as with an XJ as you are mixing/matching parts to come up with a better spring rate and longer spring travel while accomplishing X amount of lift and getting it centered in the wheel well.

Ron

anyway what i read from the rubicon catalog for an mj 5.5 lift all you need is soa perch and a 5in shackle. but with an xj you would have to use the 6in RE boomerang shackle with the mj leaf pack? yeah my jeep is ghetto rigged to explode at any moment, so any feedback is appreciated... i dont have a plasma cutter, i have a sawzall.

Back