• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bonehead fixes - overheating and high idle

hankthespacecowboy

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, these aren't the most whiz-bang solutions, but I though other bonehead folks might appreciate learning from my mistakes.

The two primary problems I've been dealing with so far in my Cherokee are overheating and a high idle. Overheating was solved by buying a 3-core radiator off ebay. At $150, it was a bargain.

The main cause of my high idle was loose manifold bolts. Spraying penetrating lubricant around the manifold slowed down the idle and resulted in clouds of black smoke. I bribed a lush buddy of mine with a beer to crawl underneath deal tighten the manifold bolts coated in 270,000 miles of grease.

Overall, the Cherokee is running much better now. Though given it's a $500 vehicle with nearly 300,000 miles, there's a lot of catch-up maintence to do.

From Gateway huh.. Not too far from here (GJ). Anywho I had the high idle problem borrowed some fancy gadget from a mechanic, got the idle where I wanted it and left the IAC unplugged. Tried everyting else and nothing worked.

Back