• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

and thoughts on fox shocks?

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
I am finally starting to buy parts for my xj build and figured I might as well do it right the first time. I'm going with the TNT y-link and was wondering if anybody has run the fox 2.0 shocks? And if so, the ones with the resivoirs or without. I actually lick the looks of the non-resivoirs(emulsion) bettter. I'm near the Sierra's, so I'll be mostly rock crawling. I'm also thinking 5150's or 7100's. And I know this is gonna sound dumb but because of my OCD I would really like to find a streering dampener that matches.

I'm running 5150's rear and 2.0 fox with Res in front. I really like how they ride. My brother runs the 7100's. He likes the way they handle, but the bodies have rusted very bad.

If you do the 7100's, do the short bodies. If you do the Fox make sure you have enough up travel cuz they are plenty long. I'm running the RE 5.5 with 1 1/4 spacer with 12" shocks annd only had 3" of up travel to play with. I ended up moving them down onto the control arm brackets.

Shocks are shocks, when you buy good quality mono tube shocks. The components and technology of nitrogen charged monotube shocks are virtually identical from shock to shock, so it mostly comes down to valving. The best choices are shocks that you can get some idea about the correct valving.......so you don't have to spend the time learning how to rebuild and fine tune them yourself.

Fox could be a good choice, since they have a series of 2" shocks that are tuned for a TJ, which should be close enough to work well for an XJ. I haven't seen much talk about various shock valving on XJ's using Fox shocks, but there has been quite a bit of discussion on valving for 7100's on XJ's. One of the benefits of using 7100's, besides the valving knowledge, is that the short body resevoir shock is the right length.....both enough travel and an overall length that fits. Best is a 12" shock in front and 10" in rear.

You couldn't go wrong with either the Fox or the Bilstein.

thanks guys. your in bakersfield? I do a lot of work down in that area and eat at the original roadhouse evry chance I get.

MONSTERxbla said:
thanks guys. your in bakersfield? I do a lot of work down in that area and eat at the original roadhouse evry chance I get.

Yep, I'm at the Ford store, just off of 99 and Rosedale Hwy.

I just installed the fox 2.0 res. that they make for the front of a TJ with 6 inch lift. I had 5150's valved at 255/70 with RE 5.5 inch springs and the Fox's are waaaaay better. I have a winch and bumper up front and they really made a differance in body roll and ride. The jeep just feels so much more stable and smooth both on road and off. I havent got them out on the big rocks to much but I will be at prairie city this weekend testing out some other new gadgets so I will get them on some of the rocks there. Up travel is 5 inches, down is 6.5 and they have the correct mounts so no adapters needed. For the same price as the 7100 I would definately consider the Fox valved for the TJ.

That makes sense, since we've found that the Bilstein 255/70 valving is too soft for the front.

I plan on running some Fox 2.0 resi's or maybe some F.O.A.s but I plan on flying through the desert lol so I need the resi's. For crawlin just use non resi's

I'm running 275/78 on the front with RE ZJ coils, and after doing a winch and bumper, I'm ready for a stiffer coil and stiffer valved shock.

I think skyjacker or deaver coils are coming up, and i may explore 360/80 valving with them.

Back