• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GDI Rad...how to fix?

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
I have a GDI about 4 years old, i was working under hood and broke the plastic nipple for the overflow tube.

What product will cement the nipple back on till i can order a new rad?

What radiator do i want to order as a replacement? I would like to eliminate the plastic tanks and keep 2-3 core. Quick search shows some info on Modine 2 core and that GDI was bought out.

TIA.. :repair:

Radiatorbarn.com has good pricing on all-metal 2 or 3 row radiators. $115/$146 for 2-row and 3-row as I recall. They are CSF brand with metal tanks (at least thats what I got and all the other posts I've seen indicated). Another plus is that they give all the dimensions on their website. I've seen a few cheap 3-row radiators that were thinner than a 2-row.

There are many positive reports here about Radiator Barn. I've never seen a complaint posted about them unlike a few other vendors. I was also pleased with their quick response to a couple of pre-sale questions and they shipped pretty quick as well.

You could try JB Weld. I think they make a plastic specific weld product. Doesnt GDI have a lifetime warranty?

BTW John. Ive got a stock radiator I will give you if you need one right away and want to drive for it. Nothing wrong with it, I just upgraded. I was going to give iot to another member here but we couldnt get together before he needed his ride back on the road. Let me know,
Ray.

Last edited:
That is glass filled nylon, I dont think there is a product out there that will glue them back together. I think you best bet would be to drill a clean hole, tap it, and just put a reg fitting on it.

LOL...i used to have a spare radiator in my garage loft....until i gave it away. Thanks tho..

I dont think there's enough material to tap.

Going to take a ride to AutoZone.

Give the JB Weld a try, I'll bet it'll hold for awhile if not semi permanent.

Got the JB weld...

The tube didnt want to stay put while curing and i couldnt figure a clamp that held either.

Was going to insert a screw to keep everything lined up while curing but knew the screw would end up not coming out. That's when i spotted the small twig on the ground, pushed it in and it held everything straight....then once cured i used a small drill bit to drill out the twig.

Repair seems to be holding. Thanks for the help guys!

Back