• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny fluid color...

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I just sold my '94 xj w/the good ol AX-15 and bought tonight a '98 XJ Classic (auto) w/165k on the clock. Everything is good on the jeep, all the fluids look great, but the tranny fluid. The fluid is amber, almost clear. No metal in the fluid and doesn't smell burnt. Is this a newer type of dexron or is it bad fluid? The tranny shifts fine as well.

Thanks in advance guys

Last edited:
Color isn't as important as it used to be (with the earlier Dexrons), straw color used to mean it was used up and almost always smelled burnt.
Now I use the nose and feel more than color, if it's gritty. sticky or smells funny I change it out.
Dexron is relatively cheap, I do a drain plug change every spring, that way most of the oil gets turned over to new stuff every 30,000 miles or so.
If I'm doing any heavy towing or banzai runs up the autobahn, I keep track of the feel and smell. And change it out if it's questionable.

8Mud said:
Color isn't as important as it used to be (with the earlier Dexrons), straw color used to mean it was used up and almost always smelled burnt.
Now I use the nose and feel more than color, if it's gritty. sticky or smells funny I change it out.
Dexron is relatively cheap, I do a drain plug change every spring, that way most of the oil gets turned over to new stuff every 30,000 miles or so.
If I'm doing any heavy towing or banzai runs up the autobahn, I keep track of the feel and smell. And change it out if it's questionable.
Thanks 8mud. It is a little pink, but definently transparent. Doesn't smell burnt to me. Smells more like crayons than anything. Any truth to the myth of ruining a tranny by changing the fluid? Should I do a drain plug flush or a full filter flush? Dexron III or is there any benefit to using a higher Dexron? Previous owner, who was meticulous as far as maintenance goes, had it flushed about two years ago. Thanks in advance...

I would say no truth - if its just gunk holding your tranny together, its only a matter of time before it goes anyway. New fluid can only help (being that its the correct fluid). Regular changes/maintenance is a wonderful thing. When you neglect it for years, then do a pressurized flush...well, then you could have problems.

Back