• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible fuel pump problem, would like some help figuring it out

88-xj-laredo

NAXJA Forum User
So with the whole host of problems winter in NH has brought about on my Jeep from blown u-joints, exhaust parts dangling and falling off, blown pinion bearings, sticking brakes and so on, I have another problem but I want to be 100% sure about what it is first.

So today I drove to school this morning around 7:45am, drove to the gas station, friends house and my girlfriend's house after school from like 12:15 to 2:00 then home around 3:00, when I went to start the Jeep to go to work at 3:09 it started and I drove like 3 feet then it just stalled, it never stalls so I started it up and it started fine but then died out and it did this start and die out thing like 4 or 5 times.
I know fuel pumps just go randomly, and usually without any warning, but could it be some stupid relay or even the nuetral safety switch??
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks in advance
mark

Check the fuel pump ballast resistor, if there is one. I think 88's have them. It would be on the driver's side inner fender, a rectangular white ceramic one, with wires going to it. Make sure the wires are well connected and the resistor not burned out. If in doubt, bypass it and see if that helps.

Just double checking to make sure I found the right part; it's a squarish white ceramic thing helf on by one small bolt with two orange wires with black stripes on them and it is pretty far forward on the inside of the fender. Right thing?
I just don't want to connect two random wires and short something out.

thanks
mark

sounds like you got some gas with water in it.

How low was your tank when you got gas? Maybe some crud from the bottom of the tank blocking the sock.

You should check your fuel pressure at the rail.

88-xj-laredo said:
Just double checking to make sure I found the right part; it's a squarish white ceramic thing helf on by one small bolt with two orange wires with black stripes on them and it is pretty far forward on the inside of the fender. Right thing?
I just don't want to connect two random wires and short something out.

thanks
mark
That's it.

Back