• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another front end clunk issue

krelja

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed the currie steering on my 98 XJ. It all went very smooth and it went on great. Now I have a clunk in the front end only when I brake kinda hard. All of the bolts ae torqued to spec(55ftlbs), and the adjusters are tight. There is also no steering stabilser on. I'm wondering if it could be a lower control arm bushing cause the jackstand was placed under it on the drivers side control arm. The kit has been on for about 2 years and 45xxx miles and I have the superflex joint on the axle side. let me hear what you think

Krelja, I don't want to jack your thread but what do you think of your powerslots and Hawk pads? Did they make a noticeable difference in stopping power?

xjnewbi said:
Krelja, I don't want to jack your thread but what do you think of your powerslots and Hawk pads? Did they make a noticeable difference in stopping power?
The set-up did improve braking but not anything that is gonna blow your mind. I got the whole set-up for around 175 at the time so it was worth a shot to me. Now for the clunck I will check out all the control arm stuff out and I hope to get my new tires and alignment done within the week so I will see if the shop can give me some idea where it's coming from

C85D4x4 said:
I had this problem, It ended up being the drivers side upper control arm frame mount bolt.

So what were you able to do about it? I have the same thing now with newish adj. Lowers.

my upper control arm bushing on the drivers side is shot on my re kit and it clunks hard on tight left turns fyi

xjnewbi said:

One way to avoid a thread hijack is to PM. ;)

lowrange2 said:
CA Bushing would be my guess... Mine clunks terribly when backing up and hitting the brakes.

How long has yours been doing that? I just noticed mine today. I had my wife get in and do the reverse/brake thing and I could barely hear it from the outside. It was very loud inside the Jeep. I could not replicate it by grabbin and pullin. And I could not see anything moving out of place.

Back