• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Stabilizers

Sowell2000

NAXJA Forum User
After looking under my Jeep (2000XJ) to see if any fluid was leaking after my trans. cooler install, I noticed that my steering stabilizer was leaking slowly. I want to replace it with an aftermarket stabilizer, but I want the stock design (not dual tube, for example). I would prefer to stick to brands like Rancho or OME, but what are some of the best, affordable stabilizers out there?

Jeff

If you're steering is in good condition and you're running 31" tires or smaller, a beefy stabilizer isn't worth it IMHO.

I ran the $10 autism zone special on my stock steering for a year on 31s (wouldnt pass inspection w/o it bc its "a critical part of safe steering operation" bahahahaha) and it was fine. Stabilzers are overrated.

I just replaced mine with a rubicon express stabilizer that I got for a reasonable price off of jeepin outfitters. the OME is way overpriced. I'd run whatever is cheap and easy to get. I don't think the quality of shock that you use for a stabilizer matters much. It either does it's job or it doesn't

The only problem with the stock one is that I believe it costs about $100, compared to about half that for an aftermarket one.

I have the Rancho one and it is OK, but it's the only aftermarket brand I've experienced.

Sowell2000 said:
The only problem with the stock one is that I believe it costs about $100, compared to about half that for an aftermarket one.

Wow, didn't know that!!

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=115

These prices are MUCH better!! When I got mine recently I don't believe the DT one was available, otherwise I woulda gotten it for 2 dollars less than the RE one...which is most likely the same damn shock painted a different color!

Thanks for that link! I checked it out, but I must be missing something because every place else I look I can't find a stabilizer that says that it fits a 2000. Most of them go up to 1998.

I've been running without a stabilizer for quite some time. I don't notice any difference than when I had one.
I'm running 33X12.5's, and a 6+ lift.

BakersfieldXJ said:
If your junks set up right you shouldnt need one....

Mhm. The only reason I replaced mine a while ago was bc it wouldn't pass inpection. Lets see what they say when it goes in again in a couple days with the 1-ton :roflmao:

I had a beat up old skyjacker hydro stabilizer that I recently replaced with a Rustys stabilizer after I did my rod ends and drag link ends. So far I have no complaints, I probably wont, a stabilizers a stabilizer, call it what you want, I think there all the same. Just my 2 cents.

Back