• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lunch box loxker, pull carrier?

squidd

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I have a 1994 XJ with the chrystler 8.25 and stock 3.55 gears. I am planning on purchasing a No-slip locker and I was wondering if anyone knew if I would be able to get the center pin out without pulling the carrier with this gear ratio. I have heard it depended on what you had. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Yes...It's a C-clip axle...you kinda have to ;)

Make sure you absolutely have the correct size for that bolt...I didn't, and rounded it off!! Ended up using vice grips on it.

ok guys...stupid question...is a lunch box locker one of those getups that replaces the side and spider gears in a factory carrier or am I way off base.

four_shot said:
ok guys...stupid question...is a lunch box locker one of those getups that replaces the side and spider gears in a factory carrier or am I way off base.
Yes!

squidd said:
Hi,

I have a 1994 XJ with the chrystler 8.25 and stock 3.55 gears. I am planning on purchasing a No-slip locker and I was wondering if anyone knew if I would be able to get the center pin out without pulling the carrier with this gear ratio. I have heard it depended on what you had. Any help would be great.

Thanks
On my '00 XJ with 3.55 gears, I had to pull the carrier out of the front D30 in order to get the center pin out to replace the spider/side gears with an Aussie locker. On the other hand, I recently had to replace the brake backing plates on the 8.25, which required removing the axle shafts. The center pin came right out after removing the retaining bolt. You need to remove the center pin in order to get the c-clips off the axles. I don't have any type of locker in the rear diff, so I can't comment on how to install one there.

Fran

Last edited:
TRAILREADYXJ said:
Yes...It's a C-clip axle...you kinda have to ;)

Just to clarify, I was speaking of the pin.

ANY C-clip axle can be locked with a lunchbox, without removing the carrier.

Thanks for the info, I was a little hesitant to go with the no slip if I was going to have to pull the carrier anyhow. I figured that would have negated any cost benefit of going with the lunchbox to begin with. Thanks again.

Just like those 42" sx's...

Back