• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Trans Overheat???

Ugly's2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000XJ with the AW4. A few weeks ago I was towing a 2place aluminum snowmobile trailer and 2 sleds. I was cruising around 65-70mph when I noticed smoke coming from teh trailer, pulled over as I thought I had burned up a bearing. Got out of the vehicle and noticed trans fluid dripping, looked under the vehicle and was coming out of the front pump area. Let the tranny cool down and pulled the trailer off the road. After cooled down, topped off the fluid and got vehicle home. Usd other truck to finish off the sledding weekend.

I drained the trans fluid and replaced with new... Everything shifts fine and have not had any more leaks. Scared to tow with the Jeep again, but looking to see if anyone makes a bolt on trans cooler? I can get one from the auto store and make work but looking for one that will plug and play, just like the OEM one... I work for Chrysler and they no longer offer the one through the accessory catalog its now obsolete, although I can buy all the individual pieces but the cost will exceed $150.00 wich is outragious for a oil cooler.. Any thoughts??
Is there an actual filter that can be replaced in these trans? or just screen as I have been told??
I am thinking the fluid got overheated causin it to come from the vent?? Any ideas on this one?? I have never experienced this with an AW4, as they have always been the best trans I have had. I would expect this from a dodge trans! LOL
Vehicle Stats... 200XJ 112,000 miles, no two package, 31 inch tires, 3" lift, stock gear ratio.

Had this happen to me, not towing. The trans had been overfilled and once heated up blew out of the overflow vent. I too changed the fluid and never had a problem since. There are a few aftermarket trans oil coolers around 15 - 20 bucks, check out 4wd hardware or or Quadratec. Ebay too. hope that helps.
J

Just did this job this weekend.

Hayden T-Cooler - $55.00
comes with all hardware/hoses/install kit.

Trans. Oil Gauge - $34.00
comes with inline sender/wires etc.

Total time - 1.5 hrs (half of which was wiring the gauge because I'm an idiot)

I did a similar job last weekend because it was cheap and easy. There are plenty of resources to help with the installation. PM me if you want more info on it. As far as your questions go, I would imagine that it is safe to say the overheating caused the fluid to rise over the vent.

I doubt it was overheated, likely just overfilled.
I've towed more than that with 31's and a stock gear setup without spewage.

There is an art to filling an Automatic.

Always measure your fluid level at idle and in Neutral, after selecting every gear, back to park, then on to Neutral.

When doing a refill after, say, filter service, only fill to the "safe" level.
Drive the vehicle for about a block, then recheck the fluid.
Top off to below the full mark. The warmer the vehicle is, the more confident about getting closer to that mark. Always recheck in Neutral.

Never overfill or the next time you tow, it will pour out the overflow and could even start foaming.

A cooler certainly would not hurt. They are cheap and reasonably easy to install.

Ron

I run this one: http://store.summitracing.com/partd...0264&N=700+400004+4294888847+115&autoview=sku works great! What ever cooler you decide on, do yourself (and your radiator) a favor and DON"T use the plastic, through the radiator core mounting, zip tie thingies they'll eventually wear a hole in one of the tubes and/or ruin a few fins..........I made some metal "Z" brackets and bolted it to the header panel;)---------Hans

Last edited:
Back