• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Shackle and Tailpipe clearance issues?

Mr. Christofileez

NAXJA Forum User
I installed my first suspension lift on my XJ recently, and after installing the new shackles, i had clearance problem with my tailpipe. I hacked it off and was just wondering if anyone else had any troubles with that.

Yep. I split a short piece of heater hose and put in between the tailpipe and shackle. Got rid of the rattle and it's been there over a year with no problem.

4LowandGo said:
Cut it and put a turndown on the end right before it gets near the shackle.

x2 this also helped mine with the flowmaster droning OR get a good exhaust guy to squeeze it through - i have 2.5 and he got mine with 4.5 RE leafs and 1 inch shackle

I cut mine and added a turn down. I ripped the spout off the first time off road, so now it's just shorter.

Neal

Just finished my lift, sorted the drive train rattle but same issue, SS exhaust rattleing against RE 4.5" springs. NOT going to cut that, will try to relocate the rear exhaust bracket. Or add some rubber mounting to move it towards the center.

I cut mine and have it running above the rear leaf spring and exiting out the side. Works great, and have yet to hit it off anything....really just a matter of time.

I had that issue, especially with my 2.5" exhaust...now it runs up over the leaf spring and out the side...that doesn't work too well either without the cut and fold job that I haven't done yet. I've already pushed it up into the rear 1/4 panels once, rally style.

I cut mine off..... Might add a turndown, I don't know yet.

I cut my old tail pipe. Then after a while it melted the bushing. When I needed a new system, Dnyomax cat back, I just smacked the tip alittle to clear the shackle bolt. Oh 5" spring 1" shackle.

Heat up the steel hanger and bend it over just a little. This worked with mine when I had a longer shackle on the back. This was after the upgrade to my exhaust system.

scorpio_vette said:
i didn't have any issues with it. i just look at it. said: "that's gonna rattle" and then turned the music up.

haha that works! I didn't want the rubbing... Mine was so tight that to get the shackle on, I had to have a friend push on the tailpipe with his foot to move it enough.

If you have the strap style mounts (not the metal hangers) use some stainless steel wire through a hole in the body to pull the exhaust away from the springs. I used 2 ties 1 in front of and 1 behind the springs and have not had a problem or rattle since.

Mine rattled, I used a hose clamp to pull it over towards the hitch. The hose clamp broke, so I smacked it with a hammer. Problem solved...:D Eventually I'm gonna get a smaller muffler and try a custom job with it exiting out the side ahead of the rear tire.

I had my buddy end the tailpipe right at the shackle, so it doesn't rub at all. The hanger does rub the leaf spring clamp when wheeling, but I just ignore it.

IllianaXJ said:
I had my buddy end the tailpipe right at the shackle, so it doesn't rub at all. The hanger does rub the leaf spring clamp when wheeling, but I just ignore it.

I did away with the "U" bolt style clamp on the hanger and went with a radiator hose clamp, just as strong and more clearance.

Back