• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shifter kit?????

redneck1939

NAXJA Forum User
ok i searched hi and low for an aw4 shifter kit do they make them? or am i just not searchin hard [FONT=&quot]Enough? links would be help full thanks

-Joey
[/FONT]​

What you would need to do is drop the oil pan and then the valve body. Inside the valve body you can change the shift points by moving the balls around to change direction and presure of the oil. This will cause your trany to shift at different rpms than stock. I am not sure if anyone makes a kit specificaly for the AW4. I would try B&M products for the kit.

tacosmall.jpg

if i was to get this kinda set up would i just have a high and low?

This is how my AW4 shift kit is mounted in my 99 XJ:

0312081108a.jpg

0312081109.jpg

Its a close fit (pic makes it look closer than it really is). I can acutally easly shift w/ touching the e-brake, still pull the e-brake easly, and my hand isnt too far from the steering wheel while shifting. + I didnt loose a cup holder.

BakersfieldXJ said:
This is how my AW4 shift kit is mounted in my 99 XJ:

0312081108a.jpg

0312081109.jpg

Its a close fit (pic makes it look closer than it really is). I can acutally easly shift w/ touching the e-brake, still pull the e-brake easly, and my hand isnt too far from the steering wheel while shifting. + I didnt loose a cup holder.

do you only have a high and low with that set up? how does it shift?

redneck1939 said:
do you only have a high and low with that set up? how does it shift?
the AW4 is electronically controlled.
that shifter shifts it up and down through the gears by manipulating the solenoids in the trans.
you still get all 4 gears.
push up to go up one gear, pull down to go down one gear.

87manche said:
the AW4 is electronically controlled.
that shifter shifts it up and down through the gears by manipulating the solenoids in the trans.
you still get all 4 gears.
push up to go up one gear, pull down to go down one gear.
Thats right.
The 1st push button on the dash activates the kit, the kit starts in 4th, then I use the joystick to shift up or down to where I want it, the 4 leds tells me what gear Im in, then the 2nd push button is the torque converter lock up switch.

now is the joy stick well made? like does it feel cheap? and i have no center councel i would have to make a holding bracket for it wouldnt i? or is there other places tom mount them?

And I have a question about the torque converter lock-up switch. Does the jeep lock-up first or fourth? Cause it only feels like it locks up second and third. So with this manual switch what's it like lockin up first? Stock first should end at 35 but what does it end at when it's locked up?

Man I wish I had time to mount my AW4 shifter...

...but yes if you're talking about shift kits, there is a company that will take your core valve body and modify them for you, I believe its IPT Transmissions.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/chryslerautorwd.shtml#main

Little ways down is an aw4 valve body link.

If I was putting one in an old model XJ then Id just use rocker switches, or the badass steering wheel w/ the switches already installed in it. Id also wire my own kit and not dish out the money on a prefabricated kit.
The joy stick can be mounted anywhere within reach. The only problem is my particular joy stick was almost 4" deep, so I actually had to cut a hole in the floor board. I also contemplated mounting it on the center consol, but decided not to because id loose a cup holder, I didn’t want wires running through the middle of the consol under the lid, and it didnt leave much plastic between the e-brake and where the joy stick would have been mounted so it'd probably have cracked. I would love to see someone mount it on the dash next to the steering column.
Where my joystick is mounted is very comfortable and convent for shifting.

The joy stick is from an arcade game, and they take a ton of abuse. So far mines held up well.
The joy sticks top spins, which I hate!, Im going to try and super glue it so it doesnt spin. Im sorta afraid that if I jar the Jeep really good the joy stick might shift when I dont want it to because of the way the joy stick works, but so far it hasnt. In my case the joy stick was installed on a very close fit, and it actually made it start sticking some times. I guess I need to loosen the bolts or go back and cut a little more out to take some pressure off.
But hey whats cooler than manually shifting an automatic when a non-Jeep person goes for a ride along?

BakersfieldXJ said:
But hey whats cooler than manually shifting an automatic when a non-Jeep person goes for a ride along?

What's cooler? Manually shifting it with paddle shifters on the steering wheel while finish flicking an acute corner through a spectator area during a rally race...

...man I gotta build my paddle shifters soon.

Back