• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lost Key or Keys to Jeep? here is one solution...

aparke4

NAXJA Forum User
I lost my keys 4-5 days ago and was needing my xj to get to school, pick up supplies, etc... so here is what i did:

1. Find nearest Jeep dealership
2. Gather proof of insurance with VIN num. or state registration with VIN - they need VIN number to code key and u need to bring in something to prove that you own the vehicle... also u might need your drivers liscence or some type of ID
3. Get a ride to dealership -> go to parts department-> show them documentation and they will pull up your key code... get keys made (2 in my case) at 6.50 a pop and pay cashier!
4. Go home, turn on jeep and smile that u now can drive your rig!

Now! this applied to my 1999 4 door xj BUT i know that some newer jeeps and DC vehicles they started using a specially coded key which only the dealership can produce and that runs just over 100$ for 1 darn key! I know Benz have these types of keys, BMW etc. I put my spare in a concealed location inside the gas tank skid... i just wanted to post this b/c there were like no other threads resolving this issue: i do not know how far back the dealership can go back but it should be good for all xj's includung 00 and 01 models. cool. :NAXJA:

I did the same thing and was suprised at how inexpensive the key was for an OEM part.

However, as you stated, and the dealership reminded me, on the newer keyed vehicles with the chip, they have to tow the vehicle in to match the codes in the PCM to the key.

With progress, we always seem to take a step backwards.

That's nothing. I once lost my keys snowboarding in Utah and had to call around to find a mobile locksmith that would drive up to the resort from SLC. After 10 calls I eventually found a guy that drove up and made a new key for $140. and that was $200. cheaper than the previous guy. :doh:

The only other option would have been to have my wife overnight her set from WA. and then cab-it down the mountain and wait for the UPS guy.

how old can the rig be for them to be able to pull it up?

I do this with all "new" used cars I get so I don't wear down the cylinder.

Better yet is to hide a key on the vehicle.

But who are we kidding, breaking into an XJ, especially pre97 is easy.

I remember taking a butter knife to my 89 with those wing windows to get into them.

and they can even do it when you're heading wheeling:
BLOOSE said:
A Jeep dealer can make you a key with your VIN code and proof of ownership for only $10!

You're an idiot if you leave to go Jeeping and don't realize till you are 150 miles from home you forgot the key for your Jeep!

Having your Jeep with you on a trailer and proof of insurance with the vehicles VIN# on it is not supposed to be considered proof of ownership.

Jeep sales people are such yuppies now that they don't consider a well trail used Jeep on a trailer behind a red bus good advertising and will make you move said vehicles into an alley so no one see's them.

I had just had two new keys made for my 92. The sister dealership to the one I work for is a mopar dealer. We got my keycode from the vin number and used the little key stamper thing to make em. Cost me $3.00 for two blanks to get cut.

You are lucky that you have a "newer" Jeep. I lost the only set of keys that I had for my '90 xj and they told me that their computer did not go that far back. This seemed VERY odd to me since the key codes for every Jeep ever made could probablly fit on a new smart phone and his (parts guy) only explination was that they delete the old ones to keep room in the computers. Dealer price for a new ignition (me doing the labor) was over $90 so I wound up hitting the Kragen and was out the door for $12 and an hour of my install time.

Same lost set of keys had my 04 grand remote and key on it. I wasnt so lucky with those. Big dealer coin.

joe_gold said:
You are lucky that you have a "newer" Jeep. I lost the only set of keys that I had for my '90 xj and they told me that their computer did not go that far back. This seemed VERY odd to me since the key codes for every Jeep ever made could probablly fit on a new smart phone and his (parts guy) only explination was that they delete the old ones to keep room in the computers. Dealer price for a new ignition (me doing the labor) was over $90 so I wound up hitting the Kragen and was out the door for $12 and an hour of my install time.

Same lost set of keys had my 04 grand remote and key on it. I wasnt so lucky with those. Big dealer coin.

The key code is on the outside housing of the ignition cylinder. If you still have it, write it down so if you ever lose your door/hatch key, you can have another one made by code. You also could have saved 1/2 of that 12.00 by just pulling it as you did and have a key cut for using that code.

Back