• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockers and tire wear

gixer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey
I have a lockright up front and a Detroit in the back. Seems that my tires are wearing out on the insides on all 4. The fronts maybe faster than the backs. I rotate them so that might be why. Can the lockers be doing this?
Its my DD but I didnt drive it much. I am going to now for a bit and before I put on some new tires I figured I would get some ideas.
Thanks

gixer said:
Hey
I have a lockright up front and a Detroit in the back. Seems that my tires are wearing out on the insides on all 4. The fronts maybe faster than the backs. I rotate them so that might be why. Can the lockers be doing this?
Its my DD but I didnt drive it much. I am going to now for a bit and before I put on some new tires I figured I would get some ideas.
Thanks
I got detroits front and rear and I dont have a problem like that. THe inside of the tires wearing out makes it sound to me like maybe the jeep was jumped or something and the wheels are not sitting right anymore.

i agree with both of these it could be either, but if its not ball joints its a bent axle tube(s) {which is usually caused by being jumped}

id suggest getting your tires flipped on the rims (so the side with the most tread is now on the insides) then driving it for a while without rotating them

if you get wear on just one of them, then you'll need to fix that area (maybe just 1 lower ball joint) but if its on the 2 back ones, or the 2 fronts, or all 4, you might need to be looking for a axle(s) to swap.

Thanks for the input.
I have not jumped the Jeep so i am hoping its a ball joint issue.

check ball joints before paying for the tires to be flopped on the rim though. After you do the ball joints, if indeed they are needed, then you can flop the tires around or get a new set.

If anything I've had more even tire wear since putting in a auburn pro, before it was the passenger side that would wear faster, now they both wear evenly. I put a detroit in the ZJ last month, so far after about 2,000mi I see no change in any wear pattern but the tires were brand new when I did it.

Back