• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ALTERNATOR

WAYNE SMITH

NAXJA Forum User
ALTERNATOR MAKES NOISE WITH KEY ON ENGINE OFF SUGGESTIONS WHOULD HELP THANKS:dunno:

That would be impossible with the engine off, the alternator isn't doing anything. What exactly are you hearing?

BeachinXJ said:
That would be impossible with the engine off, the alternator isn't doing anything. What exactly are you hearing?

(+1) Correct.

Suggestion #2 : Please turn your caps lock off.

All caps. = YELLING !!!

Good Luck!! :cheers:

sorry it is a humming noise just started and it is coming from the alternator

WAYNE SMITH said:
sorry it is a humming noise just started and it is coming from the alternator

So... it hums when the engine is not running but the ignition is switched on?

Are you having any other electrical issues at this time?

no thats it kinda strange but its a jeep last week the fan shroud and the fan got together at a stop light i dont know i have had this xj for 7 years no problems like this until lately

Try bumping the starter over and see if it is in one spot, or all the time. Also try isolating it by unhooking the main lead and seeing if it stops, if it doesn't, keep pulling until it stops, if it stops, see if there is a problem in the circuit or if it is in the alternator.

I've heard them buzz before, kind of like a fruit fly in your ear. Two reasons I can think of, the alternator is grounding, likely through mud, water or coolant and what you are hearing is the electricity finding it's way to ground. Batteries will do the same thing when they have coat of acid vapor on them from venting, kind of a crackle buzz sound.
Yours may be the regulator, it is switched on with the key on and actually puts out a 500 Hz signal (if I remember correctly), yours may be failing, just noisy or out of tune :D
I use a piece of plastic tubing to trace down noises, they can fool you.

at first i thought it might just be your fuel pump kicking on but if you say its comming from the alt. then grab a cheap alt from the junk yard and see if it solves the prob. an alt from the u-pull-it here is only 16.99. if anyones noticed the junk yard is my fix for most issues.

Last edited:
thanks for all the help i havent had a chance to fool with it yet mabe today

funny - mine is doing the same thing. I thought the battery was humming, turns out it is the alternator - confirmed with stethascope and a metal rod. Unplugged the connector, humming goes away (only hums with key in on position). Put in a new battery while doing some other work - have never heard the noise before. This is on an 88. Let me know how it works out. I'm going to clean mine and see if that works.

Back