• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best 31 snow tire

Bville-Bud

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for a 31 snow tire for my 98. Something that I can count on when conditions really go south. I have 285/75/16 BF Goodrich All Terrains on my truck and they are pretty good, but I have been stuck in the snow at least a couple of times beside a semi-frozen pond while duck hunting and keep thinking I can do better.

Thoughts?

Depending on your lift and if you are only able to go up to 31"s, I would recomend the Kelly Safari MSR. I'm sure some others will chime in with their picks, but this is mine.

BFG AT's are one of the very best all-season tire. Unless you get a true winter only snow tire, I haven't found anything better than the BFG's for Minnesota winters. If you find yourself stuck out in the woods often, you need either tire chains or a locker. I would go with tire chains first.

Many guys on (snow)PlowSite.com recommend Cooper Discoverer M&S studded snow tires. Here's an example: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=48501&highlight=Cooper+snow+tires

For 31.5", you may want to try 235-85-16 or 265-75-16 snow tires. Tall & skiny is better for snow, than short & fat.

Cooper specs here: http://www.coopertire.com/html/prod...coverer_ms&LanguageId=1&tiretype=S&sorttype=T

I use 225-75-16's on Soft-8's on my XJ for winter driving/snow plowing chores. I switch over to stock GY GSA's on 15" Ecco's for the "summer" (if it ever gets here!!)

Fran

I loved (absolutely loved) my BFG A/T on my Bronco II for everything but certain types of snow and hated them in the mud. They just wouldn't clear the tread and would become slicks. Other than that, nothing but good things to say about them.

I have Chapparal Extra Grips on my XJ....they are only 235/75s, but i love these tires......had them for 2 years now, no wear at all really, and they are diggers.....do very good in deep snow, or deep mud....only down side is they are LOUD on the road, but that covers up the other bangs and clanks that the Jeep makes......and i just crank up the tunes! They are good tires tho....not sure if they still sell them or not?

If you're looking for dedicated snow only tires the only thing to keep in mind is how well the tires self clean and do they come ready for studs?

I got some Dunlap mud rover's for winter only, I love them, very self cleaning. Will run the A/T in the summer monthes.

It depends a lot on what kind of snow you're running in also. I have 31x10.5 Discovery ST's on my jeep and they do pretty well in the snow, considering they aren't studded. From what I've seen if the snow is very crystaline and very powedery there's not much that can help you, it's like running in sand and you slide all over and get stuck no matter what you do. I'd say keep the BFG AT's on and get a set of chains. Cheaper, better wear, and you only have to get them out when you really need them. If you decide that you go offroading enough to justify getting a set of aggressive tires, then the STs and STTs are both great.

got bfg 31s, this winter was nothing for em

recomend em Hasta

When I first bought my XJ I ran Dunlop Radial Rover RT's for over 60k. They are a commercial tire, and unfortunately the only 15in size is 235 75R 15. I replaced them with BFG AT/KO's in 31 and I have to be honest, I think the Dunlops were better in snow and mud. They have a much larger shoulder lug than the BFG's, which I think made the difference. They are also pinned for snow studs if you want to add them. On the down side, their harder compound means less traction in rain, they only come in 6 sizes, and they are louder and ride rougher due to their extra stiffness. I never took the Dunlops in a lot of mud, just some shortcuts here and there. Nothing deep or really sloppy, just sticky. They cleared out pretty well, and seemed to chew through snow on unplowed side streets much easier than the BFG's. I realize this isn't the size you were looking for, but thought I'd add my 2 cents. Here's a link to the tires on Dunlop's page:

http://www.dunloptires.com/dunlop/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Rover+RT&mrktarea=Light+Truck

I run to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan on a daily basis with a 3/4 ton full size van. I use a commercial BF Goodrich Traction T/A. This thing with 500lbs of equipment in it is a tank in the snow. I regularly have to zip down some serious back roads that rarely get plowed let alone traveled. I'm buying these tires for my 96 XJ when I can. If you don't know about the snow up there it is not uncommon to get 125" of snow in a year.

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's, I run them on my daily driver Jeep that takes us up to the mountain to go snowboarding. They are awesome. I also highly recomend BFG A/T's.

The Revo's may be a different story, but I had the the Bridgestone Dueler A/T and to be honest they plain sucked after 10K on them. My wet traction was worse then the General Ameri-550's that came on my van. In the snow I learned to stay home or have the tow truck on speed dial.

keep the bfg's I was amazed how well they did here in the "blizard of 2008" lol that's what they are calling the 20" of snow we had in 48hrs.....
Bfg a/t's have surprised me at how well they perform in everything but deep mud.

FWIW any type of mud terrain tire will get out performed in snow,on the road by a/t's.Mud terrain tires turn into dragster slicks in snow on road.

That's not totally true I have a set of 31" Maxxis buckshot mudders on my rig and a couple of weeks ago when tn actually got it's first snow (with a layer of ice underneath of course) I never lost traction and didn't even have to use 4wd while other people with street tires and a/t's were sliding and fishtailing all over the place.

Back