• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake problem

94xjstud

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in a 94 with all stock braking and im on 33's. My rear braking is terrible. I does not even feel like they work while driving. If I get a rear tire off the ground and let it spin by itself and after applying full brakes, it takes like 5 seconds for it to stop. I've had my MC changed, but no improvement. Should I modify my proportioning valve, brake booster, MC or something different. It happened after I got my brakes done at midas. I took it back, and they worked on it for hours and could not figure it out. I don't want to do disks yet, because I have a 44 waiting to be rebuilt, just need the money and time.

What kind of shoes did they use ? If it's a long warranty brake job I bet they use the hardest they can find so they don't wear out.

i had the same problem. turns out everytime i went mudding they would no longer make contact. so id have to adjust them over and over. have you tried to spoon them yet?

In the back of each drum is an small oval shaped hole, should have a rubber plug in it, about 1" long, normally you stick a brake tool in there then either tighten or loosen the brake adjuster. It's a star shaped adjuster and you rock it loose or tight, that rocking moves the brake shoes closer to the drums.

94xjstud said:
Whats the tool? I'll go get it right now and try it out
You can use a flat bladed screw driver too.

Back