• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small power drain.

Muddy Mudskipper

NAXJA Forum User
Ok this one is friggin is frusterating me. I have a slight drain in my 98. It is fine when it runs everyday the alt keeps it recharged bu overnight the battery (week old) voltage drops form over 12 to just under 11. If we let it sit over the weekend it completely drains the battery. I have recently replaced the terminals, {dist. cap, wires and spark plugs (after the problem had started)}. The only electrical problems I am having is no reverse lights. When I had the jeep in for another problem the mechanic said the sensor probably had to be replaced ( could that be a cause). The interior light buy the shifter to tell you what gear you are in has not worked in years. even though the bulb looks good. No there is no glove box light as I have read that it can be the cause of many headaches. I plan on doing the fuse pull test with a multimetre to narrow it down.

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Muddy Mudskipper said:
I plan on doing the fuse pull test with a multimetre to narrow it down.

Yep!! That's really the only way to go about it.
Good luck to you!!!

:clap:

Fuse pulling test is the best way/start. I had the same problem turned out that the Drivers side power seat motor was shorted out.

Muddy Mudskipper said:
Anyone got any info on that reverse sensor? It is not in the repair manuals. I imagine it can't be that hard to do.

Reverse sensor???? :confused:

Try doing a search for "neutral safety switch". It's the culprit many times when the reverse lights don't work.

:cheers:

Muddy Mudskipper said:
Yeah I had never heard of it either. But that mechanic was highly recommended. I try to do as much work myself as I can. It could be he was full of BS.

Hehehe... yeah, many are. :laugh2:

I'd bet on the NSS. :wave1:

Good Luck :cheers:

Ok so I went through my fuse box and my fuses were all f'ed up I had a 15 were a 10 amp should be. I haven't been screwing around with them. WTF? There was also two open spots (according to the manual) that had 15's in them is this common from the manufacturer or am I justified in my paranoia?

So after my fuse fix I went from a 23.7a draw to 8.8a. Wow quite a change! I will check the voltage in a few hours and keep you posted! Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Yeah could be the multi. setting says 10 a so I thought that was 1:10(ratio) ie. move the decimal.

Oh by the way one of those fuses was for the power mirrors which are not included in the manual. Still doesn't explain the f'd up order though.
Andm it's still draining so I will go through it again on the weekend.

Undue the power cables to the starter and the Alt. They have power wires that are live all the time. Ive had a couple alts shorted out that where drawing power.

Ok so I disconnected the power to the alt.......no change.
I disconnected the power to the starter.....no change.
I checked the the door pins.......and the sensor on the rear hatch.
I am running out of ideas here.
Can you check the fuses in the power distribution center in the same way as the fuse box? It the only thing I can think of that's left.

Oh the check engine light was just an emissions thing.....no big deal.

Ok so I found out the short is some where in the head light circut by testing the fuses in the power distribution center. Although it is not an easy fix. It is not the head light switch. Or the multi function switch or either one of the head lights. Right now I am pulling the fuse when I park it for long periods of time.

And to top it all of my car just broke down....ahh fun times.

I'm having a similar issue with my '94 XJ.......seems to be that mine might be that the Alternator is about to go! I believe that it might be over charging the battery!

BIGsexyatUSC said:
I'm having a similar issue with my '94 XJ.......seems to be that mine might be that the Alternator is about to go! I believe that it might be over charging the battery!

Hmmm never saw a Jeep overcharge anything...... but they are very good at underpowering things.
I am to the point on mine I am going to rewire things due to this issue, I really hate taking jumper cables every where :)

JS

So now I'm having the same problems. Starts fine as long as I drive it... but park it for more than 3 hours, and it barely starts... more than 8, and the battery is dead.

So, using the multimeter, and "checking the fuses" what exactly am I looking for?

I have disconnected everything that I installed, thinking maybe one of my wires had shorted out (lights, winch, stereo), but still having the same problem.

This is a '98 with a 2 week old battery!

If I can't figure it out this weekend, I may be running a battery switch!

Yah, I have the same thing on my 98 classic. Takes about a week to drain the battery but I also have a spiral cell battery. i thought it was my half assed off road light hookup but I undid all that.
I used to enjoy coming home to the aiport and have a dead battery in the cold and rain.
I just make sure I run it once a week.

Back