• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what size sockets to remove leaf spring bolts?

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone remember what size socket to use for the shackle bolt and front/rear spring bolts? I don't think i have the size needed and i'm betting it's metric?

you will need lots of metric...time to invest in a good set. You'll likely want to use a breaker bar for it too if you weren't planning on it.

gradon said:

All three of them?

I do have metric sockets up to 18mm and they sure are getting used on this jeep. I have a breaker bar ready and impact as well and also a 3 foot HD 3/4" socket wrench too :). I'm praying i don't have any issues. None of the bolts on the cherokee have broken on me yet so it's been good so far. I haven't tackled the dreaded upper shock bolts yet either. I'm expecting to cut two holes in my floor to get access to them if they break.

thank you :)

21mm for the front, rear, and shackle. I think it's 15mm for the u-bolts. I thought one of my shackles was too tight last week so I had both springs off to compare. You can just remove the front and rear and then fool with the shackle bolt on the ground. PS. PB is your friend.

Last edited:
as far as I can recall the front and rear leaf spring bolts are both 21. I don't recall if the upper shackle bolts are the same, they should be though.
Good luck!

gradon said:
21mm for the front, rear, and shackle. I think it's 15mm for the u-bolts. I thought one of my shackles was too tight last week so I had both springs off to compare.

thanks!

muddeprived said:
All three of them?

I haven't tackled the dreaded upper shock bolts yet either. I'm expecting to cut two holes in my floor to get access to them if they break.

nah the po of mine broke the bolts drilled them out and used fender bolts. I smacked the nuts out w/ a hammer and a punch fished bolts thru taped to a coat hanger only took a few minutes. dont know if all the upper shock mounts are the same mine is a 97 and there is access at the side of the mount

hollyxj said:
nah the po of mine broke the bolts drilled them out and used fender bolts. I smacked the nuts out w/ a hammer and a punch fished bolts thru taped to a coat hanger only took a few minutes. dont know if all the upper shock mounts are the same mine is a 97 and there is access at the side of the mount

There is access to the nuts on mine too but it's a small opening. So if mine snaps, i just get a punch and hammer them up until the nut pops off? How well are these nuts welded on? tacked? i tried this method on my TJ before when they snapped but i could not hammer them off. They were welded on really well.

FYI My U-bolt nuts are 19mm, IIRC.

If I Remember/Recall Correctly...

That's ok...I have yet to catch onto what HTH means...

muddeprived said:
I haven't tackled the dreaded upper shock bolts yet either. I'm expecting to cut two holes in my floor to get access to them if they break.

thank you :)

I dont know if you are pre 97 but if you are the coat hanger/side accesibilty trick doesnt work that well at all on them, I snapped all 4 on my 96 and it was just easiest as you said to cut some holes...and they are welded on very well... hammer and punch couldnt get it for me...

muddeprived said:
There is access to the nuts on mine too but it's a small opening. So if mine snaps, i just get a punch and hammer them up until the nut pops off? How well are these nuts welded on? tacked? i tried this method on my TJ before when they snapped but i could not hammer them off. They were welded on really well.

They were on pretty good I had it up on jack stands, used a heavy center punch (1/2" dia) and 3 & 5# sledge. Maybe 10 blows at worst. They were drilled out by the prior owner which may have weakened them some. I have read other threads here that ppl had the same result though and they werent drilled out first.

I didn't have any problems with my nuts. :yelclap: I used 1/2" impact gun on them, tapping forward and reverse a few times to loosen them up and they screwed right out. My face was covered in rust afterwards though. I was really expecting them to snap because the entire area was corroded with rust, even teh bar pins on the factory shocks were covered.

I would suggest the impact for these. If you loosen and then tighten and repeat this a few times with the gun, they come right out.

ive been working mine all day, i got the front drivers side out and the front pass. partway out, now they wont move at all. used a breaker bar, impact wrentch and plent of pb blast. any one have some sugestions. PLEASE HELP!!!

curbdog17 said:
ive been working mine all day, i got the front drivers side out and the front pass. partway out, now they wont move at all. used a breaker bar, impact wrentch and plent of pb blast. any one have some sugestions. PLEASE HELP!!!

The metal sleeve is probably seized to the bolt and spinning with it. It won't allow the bolt to come out any more. I had to cut through the bushings to get the sleeve off the bolt. It was a PITA.

Back