• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeeky Distributor????

Sig Ep Mock

NAXJA Forum User
OK 1995 Cherokee with the 4.0L, when the engine warms up the distibutor starts to squeek at idle. On the throttle = no squeek......off the throttle at idle = squeek. If I pull the distibutor away from the engine, towards the passenger fender it stops. I can get it to stop for a few days by....placing a small pry bar between the distibutor housing and using moderate pressure to pry it away. Squeek goes away for a few day then it's back.

I've pulled the cap and guts and tried to find out exactly what is squeeking and think it's got to be down below the actual distributor top...somewhere in the shaft or right at the top of the shaft.

Any idea's???? Is there a bearing going bad in there somewhere? Sorry for the dumb question. I can't seem to find an expoded view of the distributor to give me any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

mikeNtucson said:
It would be/could be the brass bushing in it. Mine used to do that till it locked up and blew up the engine.

:hang: :cry: :scared: So what's the fix before the engine goes boom? Replace the dist? Or is the bushing pressed into the block or something cool.

Chris

Replace the distributor before it locks up and maybe takes the cam gear with it.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Replace the distributor before it locks up and maybe takes the cam gear with it.
Wayne

OK sounds like fun. So this isn't one of those Jeep things I can fix with a hammer:rof:

Thanks,

Chris

Mines been doing that for a couple of weeks so, yesterday I replaced it. The core charge was $75! They reall want those things back. I took my old one apart before swapping and the brass bushing was starting to wallow out causing a wobble in the shaft.

IGOCOMMANDO said:
Mines been doing that for a couple of weeks so, yesterday I replaced it. The core charge was $75! They reall want those things back. I took my old one apart before swapping and the brass bushing was starting to wallow out causing a wobble in the shaft.

Thanks. Looks like I have plans for the weekend. Should I just hit the dealer for this part or try to find one on-line?

Thanks again,

Chris<------ newbie

WOW just called the dealer....$215 for a new distibutor.....does this sound right? Is there a cheaper alternative? On-line? Local parts store?

I like the Jeep and all but it's a 3rd vehicle...supposed to be a fun little off-roader not a noney pit:doh:

Chris

Go to a junkyard. Last summer I went to the largest junkyard in the area and got 4 1975-1979 GM HEI distributors, 2 GM Opti-spark (for LTI and very expensive to replace), all 8 coil packs from LSI (very very expensive) and a bunch of other distributors. I paid 200$ for all of them, I sold the Opti-Spark distributors for $150 each, I got $250 for the LS1 coil packs and rebuilt 3 HEI's with MSD modules and sold them for $130 each. I brought them in to the guy at the desk after I pulled them, and the guy looked at them and said "200 bucks", he didn't see the LSI coils for some reason hahaha.
If you want, I could find you a great 4.0 distributor (there must be 20+ good 4.0's there) and send it to you for the junkyard price, plus shipping cost.

BillBraski said:
Go to a junkyard. Last summer I went to the largest junkyard in the area and got 4 1975-1979 GM HEI distributors, 2 GM Opti-spark (for LTI and very expensive to replace), all 8 coil packs from LSI (very very expensive) and a bunch of other distributors. I paid 200$ for all of them, I sold the Opti-Spark distributors for $150 each, I got $250 for the LS1 coil packs and rebuilt 3 HEI's with MSD modules and sold them for $130 each. I brought them in to the guy at the desk after I pulled them, and the guy looked at them and said "200 bucks", he didn't see the LSI coils for some reason hahaha.
If you want, I could find you a great 4.0 distributor (there must be 20+ good 4.0's there) and send it to you for the junkyard price, plus shipping cost.

Thanks for the offer....just found one at a local parts store close to my house.....$59 plus $60 core. I'll give that shot first.

Thanks again for the offer though,

Chris

Sig Ep Mock said:
Thanks for the offer....just found one at a local parts store close to my house.....$59 plus $60 core. I'll give that shot first.

Thanks again for the offer though,

Chris
No problem, at $60 I would have got a new one too. I go to junkyards for my boss at least once every 2 weeks to get various body parts, but I always take a look at the jeeps. I can't believe that people don't buy all the expensive small stuff and resell it! I mean really, theres so many parts on newer/late models that go for TONS of cash new and used.

Wayne Sihler said:
Wayne
Mine did. cam and dist gears broke, and it hick-uped enough to brake a rod on the up stroke. It came out, poke whole in block, broke oil pump and beat holes in pan. Oil spraid out and broke the collecter on header. Rebuilt the head as it needed a valve job, and put on different motor.

Back