• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another head gasket question

Sizzler

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry to ask so many questions, but I was investigating the head for cracks and I noticed coolant in the intake valve housing of cyl 3. Is that a definite sign of a cracked head or could coolant be going back up into the housing from the cylinder? Thanks again for any help!

Sizzler said:
Sorry to ask so many questions, but I was investigating the head for cracks and I noticed coolant in the intake valve housing of cyl 3. Is that a definite sign of a cracked head or could coolant be going back up into the housing from the cylinder? Thanks again for any help!

Coolant could also be weeping through the head gasket into the cylinder, so it may not be a block crack. If coolant is "backing up the housing," it's from a low crack in the cylinder - and you'd see coolant in the oil as well.

Coolant in the intake valve housing would be strongly indicative of a leak - I'm not sure I'd even bother Magnafluxing the head.

Back