• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise in left front

cygnus58

NAXJA Forum User
I may feel confident when it comes to electrical, but suspension and front end has me plain stupid.
When driving (especially at lower speeds around town) my '88 XJ exhibits a thump in the left front. Its always after making a right turn and the wheel is returned to center, the noise appears one time with any subsequent turn to the left. If the same movement is reapeated, the same clunk is heard once. As if slop or play is there and something is either worn, or very dry of grease. Never from left to right, just the opposite.
thanks for any input.

Check your Trac bar. Sit still and turn the wheel. if you hear the clunk then it might be your trac bar. If your moving and you wear it i had sort of the same problem and it was my wheel hub. Find out before driving to much. My hub went out on my way home one night. Had to get picked up by a roll back. Not to good. I would look at the trac bar first though. get someone to sit in the jeep and turn the wheel all the way to one side then the other and you sit under it and see if your trac bar is shifting. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Definitely sounds like your tracbar. This problem can usually be fixed by overtightening the bolts. Just use your wrench and a pipe for extra leverage, and tighten as tight as you can.

X3 on the trac bar. Is this a stock Jeep with the stock trac bar, or is it lifted with an aftermarket one?

a little late to help, but I'll add something to check on for anybody searching instead of starting my own thread.
Sway bar end link, mine sheared completely off above the sway bar running it around my track the other night.

note to self: leave step-up and table top jumps for the dirt bike and quad...it was worth it though, lol

Back