• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick one about o2 sensors

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
This could be stupid...probably is.

Called local parts store for pricing on o2 sensor for my 2000XJ. $124 for the front, $108 for the rear. Imagine my excitement.

I've found "universal" plugs on the net, cut and splice. I'm not afraid to, but would help if I knew what I was cutting and splicing. This is where the stupid questions comes in. Before I start buying and cutting just a couple thoughts since search isn't very friendly to me.

All of the wires are color coded, and this should pretty much be a no-brainer, correct? White to white, black to black and whatever colors the other 2 wires are. Correct?

Also, this ones just basically for lack of self iniative due to recent 20" of snow in one day. I just dont care to try and crawl under to check, but from my understanding is that I have 2 o2 sensors for my 2000. One up-stream, one down. Both are 4 wire o2 sensors, correct?

Thanks for the input.

i would stay away from the universal sensors.
i have one in my downstream right now.

every (insert A or B here) it fires a code and my check engine light comes on.
A.) 100 - 200 miles
B.) 2 - 3 weeks

it has been doing that since i first put it in.
its always the downstream one, the one i replaced.

however, the upstream one i got isnt a factory replacement part from the dealer, and it seems to do fine.

i think the check engine comes on is because i had to splice together the two heater wires, since the harness on the jeep only has one heater wire, and the universal sensor comes with two.

the FSM tells you which wires are which.. theres a heater, a lead, and a ground, if i remember correctly.

anyhow, the universals have 2 heaters, a lead, and a ground.

the sensor is not bad, it just gets confused when you send it the two heaters signals at once.. ..i guess.

im going to just buy the Jeep part at the dealer on this one.
a good mechanic of mine recommended i do so.

My 01 XJ has 4 sensors...with 4 different OEM part numbers...

My 2 Upstream sensors may be very similar but probably have different OEM part numbers because of the different harness/plug lengths..

Same for the 2 downstream sensors...

Vanquish said:
This could be stupid...probably is.

Called local parts store for pricing on o2 sensor for my 2000XJ. $124 for the front, $108 for the rear. Imagine my excitement.

I've found "universal" plugs on the net, cut and splice. I'm not afraid to, but would help if I knew what I was cutting and splicing. This is where the stupid questions comes in. Before I start buying and cutting just a couple thoughts since search isn't very friendly to me.

All of the wires are color coded, and this should pretty much be a no-brainer, correct? White to white, black to black and whatever colors the other 2 wires are. Correct?

Also, this ones just basically for lack of self iniative due to recent 20" of snow in one day. I just dont care to try and crawl under to check, but from my understanding is that I have 2 o2 sensors for my 2000. One up-stream, one down. Both are 4 wire o2 sensors, correct?

Thanks for the input.

Trying to not sound like a commercial but............

Save yourself alot of dough on the o2 sensors.
http://www.oxygengeek.com
Free shipping for orders over $50.

Search is your friend.
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=926794&highlight=oxygengeek

Back