• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BA-10 moaning loud...except in 4th

purvisdotcom

NAXJA Forum User
I know one of you genius' will know why this could be. The peugeot is moaning really loud in every gear but 4th. Could there be some reason related to 4th being 1:1 ratio??? would it be the tcase??

If I am not in gear, no moaning, even when moving(so not the axles or motor I think)

Also I just installed a new clutch kit with everything in there(pilot and TO bearing, etc.) I may not have fully bled the clutch which is what I will do next, but it does not seem that this could cause it.

Also the truck has been sitting for months without driving until now. any ideas(yes I know about the AX-15 swap) or just drive it into the ground??

I thought 5th was 1:1....
**edit** never mind 4th is 1:1

with the trans in nuetral push the clutch in does any noise go away?Let out clutch,any noise?If so suspect the input bearing

could be a mainshaft bearing(s) that some of the gears spin on......then when you put it in 4th the gears get locked up and no longer freewheel.....make sense?

either way you are on borrowed time with that pos ba10/5 find a ax15 to swap in.I did this a few years back after my ba10/5 kept popping out of gear.While you are at it do an external slave swap.

Last edited:
Yeah the internal slave is one of the worst ideas ever.

If its in nuetral there is no sound whether the clutch is in or not. In fact, even in gear while driving there's no sound unless I accelerate, i.e. there is torqe going through it.
dang! I just put in the new clutch kit and I guess if swap it out I cannot use any of the kit from the BA10, right?
I guess I can just run the goat into the ground first.

purvisdotcom said:
Yeah the internal slave is one of the worst ideas ever.

If its in nuetral there is no sound whether the clutch is in or not. In fact, even in gear while driving there's no sound unless I accelerate, i.e. there is torqe going through it.
dang! I just put in the new clutch kit and I guess if swap it out I cannot use any of the kit from the BA10, right?
I guess I can just run the goat into the ground first.

the ba-10 and the ax-15 use the same clutch and pressure plate

They also use the same slave cylinder, too, IF you use the internal slave.

Back