• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep cherokee laredo ???

andy5569

NAXJA Forum User
i just bought a 1988 jeep cherokee laredo with a 4.0 and a auto i was wondring what this trim package came with whats unique to this trim package. thanks for you help

ive got a 91 laredo and all i have noticed is the overhead console and the center console. laredos eventually all became grand cherokees. so i figure laredo means fancy trim but still no cup holders. maybe rear window wiper too but im not sure.

FWIW:My 89 is a laredo, I don't have an overhead console so that leads me to believe that the over head console is an option,not part of a trim level.All xj's have a rear wiper.

I think you get alloy wheels and wide rubber door cladding on the laredo.I dont know if pw and dl's are part of the laredo package or an option.I have both and hate them.

Last edited:
rmm727 said:
Wrong, not all do.

X2. I see more XJs without rear wipers than with.

I have a 01 Laredo. I think the cloth (tweedish) seats, all power, alloy wheels, overhead console (91+), and sound dampeners were a part of the package.

I have a 90 laredo, and this is what it came with:

Chrome Trim (including Chrome mirrors)
Black Door Handles
Manual Mirrors, Windows, and locks.
It had an alarm, but im fairly sure that was added by the P.O, no matter how old it looked!
Automatic (AW4) With Command Trac (NP231 Transfer Case)
Dana 30 Front Dana 35 Rear
A/C
Alloy Wheels
Rear Window Defroster and Wiper.

I think thats just about it.

PS. I like the Chrome, i just dont think my "light blue" color would look good with chrome door handles... so im glad those are black.

My 85 Laredo came with:
Chrome grill and handles.
Adjustable steering column.
Tilt seats.
Fancy tweed looking upholstery.
Arm rest/inner door handles are longer and curves up in the front.
Alloy wheels.

loke said:
My 85 Laredo came with:
Chrome grill and handles.
Adjustable steering column.
Tilt seats.
Fancy tweed looking upholstery.
Arm rest/inner door handles are longer and curves up in the front.
Alloy wheels.
Ahh yes i forgot mine has tilt steering also, but no cruise control.

Seats tilt also. And i think my seats are "tweed" .. they look similar to this:
Seat%20001.jpg

The only real noticable difference between that pic and mine is that mine have a hard plastic headrest that are suppost to be adjustable up and down.

Mine also has the armrests that extend upwards towards the window.

outlander said:
FWIW:My 89 is a laredo, I don't have an overhead console so that leads me to believe that the over head console is an option,not part of a trim level.All xj's have a rear wiper.

The overhead console didnt exist till 90. But yes, even when it was available, it was opotional on the laredo, and standard on Limited.

Laredo's probably all had wipers, base models and pioneers needed to be ordered to get it. It wasnt standard on those rigs.

Beside the point, but the original window sticker on my '85 Pioneer shows rear wiper/washer as both standard equipment and part of the Pioneer package. I'm pretty sure I've seen later models without the rear wiper so have no idea which is correct or when base model equipment changed.

Pelican said:
Beside the point, but the original window sticker on my '85 Pioneer shows rear wiper/washer as both standard equipment and part of the Pioneer package. I'm pretty sure I've seen later models without the rear wiper so have no idea which is correct or when base model equipment changed.

What state is it originaly from?

POE/final assembly - Ohio Shipped to dealer in Texas where we purchased new. Under model info it says (49 state usage)

my 88' laredo has no options basically. no power windows or anything like that. it does have cruise control but thats it. no overhead console, no fancy body mouldings. looking at my laredo i always assumed that they were the bottom of the barrel cherokees??

I believe chrome bumpers were part of the Laredo package. At least the Laredos I've seen had them as does my '90. Now, my '90 was optioned out fairly well so I guess they could have been added.

About the only thing mine doesn't have is the electric mirrors. Of course, I say that with my limited knowledge of what was available. Were sunroofs available? Mine doesn't have one.

Back