• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

S-10/XJ Leaf Building & Testing

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I know much has been written on this topic and I have read a lot of this information. The convention is clearly to use only the XJ primary leaf and all S-10 leafs except the flat lower overload spring.

My question - Has anyone retained most of the XJ leaf pack and used only one or two leafs from the S-10? Your results regarding ride height/lift, roads manners, offroad stability (Yes, wheel offset matters here too.) & flex?

Rick

I got about 3 1/4" using the XJ main and secondary, and all of the s10, except the overload. They rode pretty stiff, until I played with my shackle mount. The big reason for the rough ride was the shackle angle. flex lacked for the same reason. A vertical shackle. ...but that can be fixed.

I haven't experimented with enough jeeps to give you an idea about stability...

are you just agreeing with me? or did you mean something?

I'm considering using the complete XJ leaf pack and only the primary S-10 leaf. I know this will not give me much lift but this combination should result in retaining much of the XJ leaf pack character.

Using all of the S-10 leaf pack has proven to be desirable but it must also be true that the dynamic characterisitcs of this hybrid leaf pack are unknown relative to the OE XJ leaf pack. In other words, the user of the typical S-10/XJ hybrid leaf pack assumes more risk if they use them in offroad exercises. If I knew how thoroughly users have tested their S-10/XJ hybrid leaf packs in offroad exercises I would be more comfortable using this method (The cost of gears does not help either...).

I know this could be a non-issue with a well prepared vehicle and careful, thorough testing. The difficulty is no one seems to be posting this type of information after they build their vehicle. Maybe most of these people use their XJ's as pavement crawlers instead of on trails or rocks. I do not know; hopefully someone does.

Rick

I used the stock XJ main leaf with the longest and 3rd longest s-10 leafs. Mine were also from a ZR2 s-10 which, if you can find the leaf packs from, get them. They ride soft and flex like mad!! I got about 5.25" of lift out of it and have been happy!! E-mail me any other questions you might have.

Holy wordy response I think I followed most of it.

My experience I used the rear packs from an 87 dakota 4x4. The first time I used the XJ main leaf and then all the dakota's including the overload leaf. this netted my 4.25 lift. Upon completion and deciding that might be too much for my non SYE Transfer case I did the XJ Main, Dak Main and then the Dak 3rd leaf which netted me 3 on the money. I then drove it around for 2 weeks and during that two weeks it dropped to 2.25 and became too soft and would bounce up and down at any little bump. I then went back in and put all dak's back on without the overload and that bumped me back up to 4 inches. This to me seems like a good mixture and doesn't seem to rough( My opinion is that it rides better than stock, however the misses says it is a lot rougher). This also got rid on the bouncing on any little bump. I have a cRustys transfer case drop crossmember and do not have any vibrations driving. This is on a 99 with the 8.25 rearend. Off road I think that it flexes just as good as the stock did and have not noticed any adverse reactions.
This was done 2 years ago and I think I still have around 4 inches and am very satisfied with it. If I ever go higher I will keep these and just add a shackle. Hope that helps

Back