• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't keep'er running...

RenegadeStang

NAXJA Forum User
Well, ol' Pepper had starting issues this morning. But let's start with last night.

The XJ hadn't been moved any this weekend. I got in last night to move it in the driveway. When I started it, it hesitated a little and then caught itself. Then it ran like normal. However, it never got up to operating temperature.

This morning, it wouldn't turn over. I hooked up the Camry to jump it off, it cranked but it wouldn't start. So I tried cranking it again, this time with my foot on the gas. It choked up and then started, but as soon as I let my foot off the gas, it died. Tried it a few more times and it did the same thing.

I'm hearing three things from my peers here at 4WP: TPS, alternator or just weak battery. The TPS and alternator (as far as I know) are original, so 10 years old. The battery I got last year.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, I don't have the Mustang up here, so no alternate mode of transportation to work.

I came home and went to check out the Jeep. Checked the voltage on the battery. 12.6V. Ok. Got inside, turned the key. The thing cranked right up. Now I'm clueless. I checked the alternator output on the battery. 13.71V. Alternator output appears to be good.

Well, I just drove her around the block. When I started the engine, it hesitated for a fraction of a second and then caught itself. I drove around a bit. I come up to a stop sign, stop and the engine stumbles. I didn't wait to see if it would die, I went ahead and gave it gas. No other problems. This is puzzling me profusely.

I had a very similar problem when my TPS went south.

It would sit there and crank all day long, but never would run unless I gave it some gas, and I had to keep on the gas until it had reached operating temp for a while (wouldn't hold idle). Once it got good and warm it generally idled on it's own, and did ok on hot starts....but if the engine got more than halfway cool it was back to no idle, no run.

Other symptoms included random shifting in and out of OD while going down the highway. It would slip out...then back in..then back out....do that a couple of times then all was fine. I was able to verify that the TPS was the cluprit by hooking a scanner up to it and monitoring it while driving down the highway. I saw the TPS readings change on the scanner, all while I was not changing how much my foot was on the skinny pedal.

Something to think about. Take it out and drive it a while. Get the engine nice and warm for a while, then see if it will idle. You may very well have a failing TPS, and after 10 years, it wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks for the info 99XJ.

And automech, my filter is part of an assembly in my fuel tank, so it's kinda hard to check. Had to change out that assembly a few years ago.

Well, it cranked up and ran fine this morning. :huh:

I am, however, gonna take off the TB and give it and the IAC a good cleaning to see if that helps any. Might improve my MPG a hair too. :)

Did the battery actually go dead? If so, my thought behind that is the computer lost it's memory, and was trying to relearn everything....this often requires some two foot action for the first little bit of driving after the battery's gone that dead.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Did the battery actually go dead? If so, my thought behind that is the computer lost it's memory, and was trying to relearn everything....this often requires some two foot action for the first little bit of driving after the battery's gone that dead.

You know, I didn't even think of that. Duh dummy!!! It's been about 4-5 starts since I had to jump the battery off (it wasn't actually dead, but when I tried to crank, the lights in the interior went out). Maybe it's done with it's relearning cycle. I'm still gonna clean up the TB and IAC, as I'm sure they need it. Is carb cleaner ok to use on the IAC?

It's more then likely a bad ground somewhere. Take off the battery terminals and clean them both, then follow the ground wire to the block and body and clean the connections there. Classic poor ground symptoms you are having.

Back