• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warn winch wont freespool

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
I have an X8000i and cant turn the lever to get it to freespool. I have to power it out.

Warns site doesnt seem to have a FAQ and i'v never had a winch opened up. Is this a common and easily repaired issue?

Remove the side of the winch where the lever sits. The lever moves a slide on the inside which engages or disengages the gears in order to allow it to freespool. If a winch is not lubricated properly and moisture gets inside it is possible for this part to corrode and get stuck. It might not be that bad, but just stuck enough so you can't get it to move with the lever. Take it out, clean it nicely and lubricate properly with the required grease and it should be fine. Thereafter make sure you use you winch enough so that it builds up a little heat from time to time and allow for the lubrication to spread. Alternatively just move your little lever often enough to ensure it doesn't get stuck.

Don't over grease the reduction assy. If you do, its gonna be hard as hell to free spool. Also, try taking it appart and seeing what the hell is broken. there's not much to the lever, either engaged or disengaged, one or the other. The gears only go in one way and are self explanatory.

Appreciate the input guys. I had also sent an email to Warn, heres what they had to say.

Problem #8:

Winch does not freespool, or is very difficult to freespool.

Cause:

A) 8274 Models only: The brake locks up as the wire rope is pulled out.

B) For all planetary gear models only: The sliding clutch ring gear may have a burr on the outside diameter which is interfering with the inside diameter of the gear housing. The can be caused from disengaging and engaging the clutch while the winch is under a load.

C) Grease, rust of dirt has gotten between the outside diameter of the clutch ring gear and the inside diameter if the gear housing.

D) The drum flanges are bent outward from the wire rope, stacking up on one end of the drum and forcing outward against the drum flange.

Corrective action:

· For M8274, try pulling the wire rope off the drum slowly and with even pressure, don’t jerk it.

· Remove the burr and lightly oil the surfaces. Do not grease.

· Remove all the grease, rust and dirt from surfaces and lightly oil.

· Straighten drum flanges or replace drum.

I'm leaning towards B. I attach the hook to the D-Ring mount on my bumper and power in just to tighten... and usually turn the lever to freespool when unhooking it. Scenario B would apply.

I'll be taking it apart and cleaning it up anyway so i'll be sure to clean it up and lubricate it.

Back