• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Driveshaft SYE

Just worked through this so I can answer. If you are doing a regular, not super short sye, you could use a front driveshaft if you have an automatic transmission. If you have a manual then you need something about 3" longer. (95ish 5.2 ZJ front ds will work)

In a stick it does need to be longer but I think 3in is to much. On my 92 stick it was 33.5in and my auto it's 32in. It also depends on the modle.

mudxj92 said:
hey quik question,
can i use a xj front driveshaft with any full SYE kit?

It also depends on the "kit" you get.
What is the question regarding? Is it about the length of the shafts or the type of flange on the output of the transfer case to match up to the front shaft?

If it helps I got a PORC HD SYE kit, used it with my D35 and D44, and use a stock front shaft in both applications and it works perfectly.

Michael

yeah iv just been reading up on it getting an idea of what iam going to purchase. i have and automatic with a xj 44 in the back. so i think iam set.
my question was just regarding any of the SYE brands.
"nickguy" what SYE did you use?

mudxj92 said:
yeah iv just been reading up on it getting an idea of what iam going to purchase. i have and automatic with a xj 44 in the back. so i think iam set.
my question was just regarding any of the SYE brands.
"nickguy" what SYE did you use?

In that case, it will work with the PORC style kit.
I suspect you could search the tech forum to find more about the other kits and if they would work.

Michael

I used the OMIX-ADA one. From everything I can gather it is the same as the PORC. It was a little cheaper. (4WS) Did it as part of a transmission, clutch, and tcase rebuild job. I have an AX-15 on my Jeep. The only complaint I had about the kit was that the tail housing did not exactly line up with the shift rail and had to be modified slightly. I have a Dana44 rear... So for me the 33" shaft off a Grand worked. If you have a automatic you should probably fine with the stock front DS from an auto.

85xj4dr said:
So I can use a mid 90's zj front shaft for an sye, with and manual trans and a d35?

lose the d35, it's for your own good.

Unless you are having serious issue you may want to do a transfer case drop and save your pennies for a Chrysler axle/ or a Dana44. I did that with mine. It worked ok only minimal vibes. I just was rebuilding the tcase and decided to do the sye as parf of the project. It is nice to have but I think the axle upgrade came first for me.

Back