• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fishing/ trail report

xjjk

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend, we decided to go to Sutherland Reservoir to check it out. We thought maybe we'd get the stripe off FINALLY since it's been a while since I've seen a bass in person. We were stoked to see boat rentals were so cheap there- 35 bucks (cash only.... back track time into town for more. Who carries cash!?) :wall:
We launched the rental about 8am and in retrospect, shoulda stopped when we saw how muddy brown the water is. Visibility was no more than a foot at best, and a lot of areas had a good 3' layer of wood chip floating in it no doubt from the recent fires. Water was down at least 60' from when they closed at end of last season. Weather was beautiful, so I can't really complain about having a day off to chill like this, but woulda been nice to see fish. Jenda did get one bump, and no it wasn't me. :rasp:
Afterwards we decided to do a little trail ride and rode up palomar divide road, behind the old palomar observatory. Along the way we saw a lot of bird life, snapped some pics of the great views of lake Henshaw and the valleys below, pics of the old Ware Mine (Topaz Mine, write up here http://www.mindat.org/loc-3557.html). When we got to the end of the road, we met someone coming back up who told us the gate was locked, so we had to back track the 20 miles of road the other way. We got a nice parting shot of a whole flock of buzzards, which I've never seen before. There must have been 30 of them.
At any rate, enjoy the pics of the scenery. No fish to be seen here.

Good deal man looked like lots of fun and had the XJ fun also. I dont think that XJ is dirty enough yet though :eyes: Just Kiddin.

I love light wheeling like that it's great for recharging the batteries of life. My wifes xj will be our light rig while the yj is the trail beater. sorry to hear about the fishing though, it wouldnt have changed my luck though I havent cought anything in about 4 years :(

a day fishing is allways better than a day working. even if you get skunked. glad to know some of you guys like to fish. lake skinner has been treating me fair. useually get a couple keepers each day. should actually start hitting the trout soon from what i remember about that lake. two good spots are were the water inlet is on the north west side down by the dam, and a little cove toward the end of the north east side of the lake. night crawlers and chicken liver seems to work best.

hey I'm all down to get a naxja fishing event together....maybe do a little light trail riding and fishing to follow, bbq...that'd be cool :peace:

that would be cool. but with our new 6 week old baby i have a feeling it will be a little while before i am ready for anything like that.

on a side note: i was going to post this up on the "karma" thread.(and still will) i have a 12' aluminum boat that i will never use. its in decent shape. used to haul it ontop a pick up so theres no trailer. but for its for free.

Friday was opening day at Sutherland. Did you hear or see anything about
anyone catching anything?

:D

I was planning on heading out there this Friday (there was a time when some friends and I were the kings of Sutherland.)
What were you using as bait?
Big ass plastics work when it gets that muddy...but I hear they recently have been drawing down the lake, that tends to suspend the bass. After a week or two of stable water the fish go looking for nesting sites and food. Throwing 8-10" Neon Blue or even augertail black worms used to do the trick...

I think I still will give it a go, if the weather holds out.

Rick

2stix said:
that would be cool. but with our new 6 week old baby i have a feeling it will be a little while before i am ready for anything like that.

on a side note: i was going to post this up on the "karma" thread.(and still will) i have a 12' aluminum boat that i will never use. its in decent shape. used to haul it ontop a pick up so theres no trailer. but for its for free.

I'll take it!
Got a cabin in Big Bear that needs a car top!

Rick

bassthumb said:
hey I'm all down to get a naxja fishing event together....maybe do a little light trail riding and fishing to follow, bbq...that'd be cool :peace:

run cleghron to silverwood. then fish there. although, I dont know if a fish can survive in that water..

xtimmax said:
run cleghron to silverwood. then fish there. although, I dont know if a fish can survive in that water..

about 12 years ago i was finishing up a morning of shooting in lytle creek and saw that dirt road (cleghorn) and decided to see where it went. i had no idea it took me up to silverwood. sure glad i had the fishing gear too. made it weekend trip. is there actually fish in that lake? i didnt catch a darn thing. allthough shore fishing isnt easy on that lake.

Jump This.... the boat is yours man.

2stix said:
about 12 years ago i was finishing up a morning of shooting in lytle creek and saw that dirt road (cleghorn) and decided to see where it went. i had no idea it took me up to silverwood. sure glad i had the fishing gear too. made it weekend trip. is there actually fish in that lake? i didnt catch a darn thing. allthough shore fishing isnt easy on that lake.

Silverwood is a well known Stripe Bass lake, they catch HUGE ones there.

And thanks for the boat!

Rick

Jump This said:
Friday was opening day at Sutherland. Did you hear or see anything about
anyone catching anything?

:D

I was planning on heading out there this Friday (there was a time when some friends and I were the kings of Sutherland.)
What were you using as bait?
Big ass plastics work when it gets that muddy...but I hear they recently have been drawing down the lake, that tends to suspend the bass. After a week or two of stable water the fish go looking for nesting sites and food. Throwing 8-10" Neon Blue or even augertail black worms used to do the trick...

I think I still will give it a go, if the weather holds out.

Rick
we threw spinner baits, rattle traps, drop shot robos, t rig robos, curly tail robos, zoom frogs, senkos, ikas, umm... I dunno. I think we threw everything at them. I saw a buncha guys getting no love, only saw a few fish being caught. One dude on a bass boat claimed to have caught an 8lber over to the north/east arm and I think he was tossing some sort of spinner. Water was down significantly. I'd never been there before, but the dock guy said last year it was up to the rocks on the edge of the parking lot, and now it's just past the dock house... if that helps.

2stix said:

I've had decent luck float tubing off black oak (I think it's called) drop shotting robo shad in prism. It's a bit cold right now for lmb though.

Back