• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for 6" Lift

mudslinger4x4

NAXJA Forum User
ok here's the deal. when i first decided to buy a lift i went with a 3" plus 1.5" shackle and spacer for around 4.5". i wanna upgrade my lift now to around a 6" so i can clear my 33's easier and don't have to cut the fender anymore than i already have. i'm trying to put together a list of all the things i'm gonna need to upgrade it instead of buying an all new 6" kit. it's a DD with occasional mudding so no hardcore rock crawling. so far i have:

new 6" coils up front
new shocks all around
2" block for the back (i know it's bad but i don't beat on it too bad plus the rear is saggin a little too much)
adjustable LCA's and maybe longer UCA's or a drop bracket
t-case drop
extended brake lines F+R

anything else you think i'll need?

Last edited:
Turfzilla said:
long arms and a sye

sorry i forgot to mention the fact that i'm on a really tight budget (full time student). i don't want an SYE cuz i don't want to mess with all that stuff. i have very little vibes at 4.5" and i know one kid who ran 10" of lift with just a t-case drop and another with a 6" and they both were fine. long arms cost way too much. i could buy a new lift for that price.

maybe the 6" is out of your budget then!! If you have bad vibes than what you gonna do?? Take the lift back down to 4"?

I do not know what year your xj is, but if it is 97 or newer, you WILL have vibes.

At 6" you will have to change trackbar as well.

4.5" is plenty for 33's. If your rubbing with trimmed fenders you are not bumpstopped properly.

IMO there is no need to go higher.

edit: That 2" block will make it sag even more.

i have a 94 and if i have small vibes at 6 than i'll deal with it. i have vibes now but from the tires not from the driveshaft. and the tires rub now on the back part of the front fender only. why will i need a new tracbar at that high and would it be better to just get rusty's high steer conversion?

mudslinger4x4 said:
the tires rub now on the back part of the front fender only.

you can get these offset plates that move the axle back.

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/more.htm

09.jpg

mudslinger4x4 said:
why will i need a new tracbar

If you are running a stock trackbar you should have one by now!

mudslinger4x4 said:
would it be better to just get rusty's high steer conversion?

i thought you were on a budget?

Doable. I have a 98 with about 6"es of lift with some accel. vibes (under heavy acceleration only) no drop t-case and no shims. Longer lower CA's stock uppers (wheels sit too far back in front fender wells.). Adj. trac-bar and longer brake lines.

You might need to shim rear pinion up 2 to 4 degrees, you can buy STEEL blocks with angles built in. Drop t-case, put some Rough Country Drop Brackets on there. Money well spent

Adj. uppers and longer fixed lowers will do a better job of getting your pinion angle set. Optimum would be adj uppers and lowers. Get an ADJ. Trac-bar too.

Longer shocks may be necessary too.

You are going to be spending more money trying to piece a kit together than you would be if you just bought a new one. The sticker price will seem a little higher, but in the end I bet it would be cheaper.

Do you have bumpstops? Sounds like all you need. You stated you trimed and still rub the 33's, your on a budget, and don't want to run a sye..... 6" of lift just compounds issues, and isn't considered cheap to do. Many run 33's with 4.5" of lift without issue.

mudslinger4x4 said:
i have a 94 and if i have small vibes at 6 than i'll deal with it. i have vibes now but from the tires not from the driveshaft. and the tires rub now on the back part of the front fender only. why will i need a new tracbar at that high and would it be better to just get rusty's high steer conversion?

vibs usually causes soemthing to wear. dealing with it later usually means you will replace something later that didnt need replacing if it didnt have vibs.

do you already have an adjustable trackbar?

since you dont have alot to spend, how about RC 6.5" lift with the drop brackets?

Trim your fenders more and increase your bumpstops. I've seen many rigs run 33"s with 4.5" of lift.

If you do want to go as high as 6", you'd be better off buying a kit. I'm sure there are guys whove cobbled together 6" of lift with various parts from various companies, but that'd take a lot of planning to make sure you get stuff that's quality and will work well together. maybe someone with experience doing it will give you a parts list. I'd stay away from rear blocks or AAL's, I've heard nothing but problems using either.

I just bit the bullet and ponied up for the 6.5" kit from the get-go. The main benefit of a kit is that everything is tried and true, and if something doesn't work right you can go back to the manufacturer and complain, they'll usually make a good effort to make it right.

Good luck either way.

Turfzilla said:
Are these for th rear?? Cause when you stuff a rear tire the axle pushes towards the back

yes they are for the rear. And yes the axle does push back when compressed, but not enough depending on tire size and lift. And it is easier to trim the back than it is the front.

Back