• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noob needs advise

kwill1

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I posted this before and it got locked because it was too off topic. I asked the mod if I could re-phrase and post again because I really need some advise, so I am trying again.

I just purchased a few acres in the Texas hill county to use as a weekend getaway. The realtor who showed us the property drove us there in a Kawasaki Mule. The mule bottomed out once and almost tipped over twice on the way up
willy_nilly.gif
The drive from the road to the top of the hill is about 3-4 miles, and is fairly steep. The worst part is the condition of the washed out "road", with foot deep holes and foot tall rocks protruding from the surface, and a few rock ledges, maybe about a foot and a half tall.

I now need to buy a vehicle that is capable of driving a family of 5 to the land (about 90 miles away from our home), then climbing the hill. What mods are necessary to allow for both highway use and climbing the hill. Do you believe a lift and larger tires are necessary? Are lockers needed? Sliders, winch?

I have been looking at serveral XJs on Craigslist, all with different setups (some with 35s and 8 inch lift, another with 31s and lockers, etc.,) and I have exactly zero experience w/ offroading. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

cheers2.gif

31's and lockers will take you a hole bunch of places most people would not believe,as far as 8"s and 35" thats not a family vehicle and if not done correctly very unsafe I'm sure others will chime in on this

You can keep very good highway manners with something with a 3" lift and on 31's" , add front locker and you would be surprised what a capable off road vehicle it would be.

Keep it simple, 3" lift, 31's, front or rear or both locked, rocker protection(sliders/rock rails), tank skid, and just in case put some recovery points on it. A class 3 reciever hitch in the rear and some good tow hook brackets(at least) for the front.

You would be amazed at where that set-up will get you, and even more amazed at how tame it is on the highway. With a good quality lift it will ride and handle better than it does stock.

31s and lockers with a small 3" lift...... You going to drive to this place with it ? If you are then the 31 with 3" lift would work great, be much safer

Last edited:
kwill1 said:
Most of you guys have mentioned lockers. There is little dirt/mud on this property and no huge obstacles, only the crappy washed out road. Do you think lockers would be a necessity? I thought a bigger lift and tire combo would be more important.

If you remove the rear sway, and put quick disconnects on the front sway, that may give you enough articulation to keep all 4 tires planted. But as soon as you get one off the ground on a obstacle and start doing "one wheel burnouts" you will wish you had at least a good limited slip.

Well, I am sure it rains there, but I won't head out there if there is rain in the forecast (this is for camping only). There won't be mud as there is almost no dirt- just rock.

LOCKERS help on ROCKS too.. What part of tex you from.... It can change real fast from clear skys to rain here in the desert,,You sound like your set on a big lift an tires... So what anybody will say won't change your mind....

kwill1,
Where in the Hill Country are you? I live on my land between Brady and Mason and am building trails on it these days for my XJ. About 6 miles from my place is Katemcy Rocks. You might want to visit that place and watch some rock crawlers in action. The guys there are also extremely helpful to newcomers and can help you with modifications and driving tactics.

Check it out on katemcyrocks.com

Well, I might get flamed for this... BUT...

A family of five will be tight and uncomfortable on that trip in an XJ. They're hard enough to fit 4. No room for gear with that many either.

I would highly recommend a 1991-1997 FJ-80 or FZJ-80 Toyota Landcruiser for the trip and terrain you speak of. Plenty of room, will seat 7 to 8 people, so 5 would be easy with plenty of room for gear.

PLUS, some of these came with electric selectable lockers from the factory. They will fit 33" tires without a lift and NO rubbing. Get some good mud tires and one with lockers, and you'll never have a problem with your trips.

I own a '92 FJ and a '98 XJ.

Here is a pic of my '92 FJ-80, with a 3" lift and 33 BFG AT KO's. I had the 33's on it with no lift for a few months. No rubbing even with the 15 y/o sagging stock springs. (years are '91 to '92 for fj-80 no lockers available stock, years '93 to '97 are FZJ-80's some had lockers from the factory front and rear)

CIMG2365.jpg

Here it is with stock suspension, and 33" tires

CIMG1105.jpg

Here is a pic with same 3" lift and 38" TSL SS tires, yes they fit with a little trimming.

CIMG2432.jpg

Check this website for all you need to know about the Toyota LandCruiser... http://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php

Last edited:
kwill1 said:
The realtor who showed us the property drove us there in a Kawasaki Mule. The mule bottomed out once and almost tipped over twice on the way up
willy_nilly.gif
The drive from the road to the top of the hill is about 3-4 miles, and is fairly steep. The worst part is the condition of the washed out "road", with foot deep holes and foot tall rocks protruding from the surface, and a few rock ledges, maybe about a foot and a half tall.

I think I would have slapped this realtor. hasta

Personally I would do nothing over 3-3.5" of lift and 31's. That 99 looked good on craigslist. If it's that long of a drive I would make sure you get something nice on the inside. Ah creature comforts. I would only recommend a rear limited slip or an aussie locker something like that. Don't go overkill if your not going to wheel it. But hey if you want to have an excuse to buy a trail rig, by all means.

The land is in Leakey TX, north and west of San Antonio. Sounds like the consensus is a 3 inch or so lift and 31s. This is the way I will be going then.

Thanks, all.

One more question for you guys:

This one comes with 8.25 Rear Axle w/3.55 Gears
Dana 30 "High Pinion" Front Axle w/3.55 Gears
http://houston.craigslist.org/car/561678733.html

This one has stock axles and ratios/ dana 30 front dana35 rear with 3.55 gears

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/595412203.html

Is there a significant advantage to the first in terms of the axles for the light offroading I plan to do (or do the lockers make up for the dana35? (I know, probably a dumb question)

go with 8.25" a little better axle IMO, put the locker (aussie) in the front. 3.55 gears will be fine with 31's.

By the way, from all the info that I have read, the 1999 is the xj of choice out of all years.

Back