• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Here's a new question......

moparjim1987

NAXJA Forum User
What is the difference between the 96 & older and the 97 & newer cherokees? I mean besides the fact that the body was slightly redesigned and the interior is different, i am hearing about the older models being able to take more lift without problems? i thought that they were the same on the underbody? or is it just the fenderwells? this might be a controversial thread......

There are a few differences, but IMHO I think most important one is that the older ('92-'96) ones are more reliable over all. I've read of the newer XJ's having trouble with stuff my 16 y.o '92 doesn't even know exist!

Or is it just that I got a Tuesday XJ?

I have 5 XJ's, a 90', 94', (2)96's, and a 00'. They are all great vehicles, they are all 4.0, AW4, 4wd. One has the NP242 and the rest have the NP231.

Ease of repair, I like the RENIX(90'). It has a 2.5" bastard pack lift and I had vibes, put in the P.O.R.C. HD SYE and a stock XJ front shaft and all is well.

The 94 needs a motor at 150k, uses a quart of oil a month and the drivers side door is about to fall off, but otherwise has been a good vehicle.

The one 96 has been exceptional and has been my trail rig for 2 years and has never let me down, the other 96 I just bought and I plan on building it up to a wild trail rig, It has issues though.

The 00' is my kids ride and it has survived all that he has put it through with no issues, now that he is in college he has started taking better care of it though.

I think as long as you get the 4.0, AW4, NP231, 8.25 rear you can't go wrong.

moparjim1987 said:
i am hearing about the older models being able to take more lift without problems? i thought that they were the same on the underbody?

The reason for the older models taking more lift is due to the T-case output and rear drive shaft design. IIRC this change occurred in 96, still with the old body style.

There are quite a few little changes made throughout the XJs life...
http://www.opiebennett.com/History.htm
http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/history.html

well, mine has the high pinion dand 30 front axle, and the 8 1/4 rear. i heard that a driveshaft from a 5-spd xj is about 1" longer than the automatic so it could be used in a lifted xj with an automatic trans. i'm just thinking about how i could prevent any possible vibes in my drivetrain when i get my 3" lift....thats all

moparjim1987 said:
well, mine has the high pinion dand 30 front axle, and the 8 1/4 rear. i heard that a driveshaft from a 5-spd xj is about 1" longer than the automatic so it could be used in a lifted xj with an automatic trans. i'm just thinking about how i could prevent any possible vibes in my drivetrain when i get my 3" lift....thats all

I use a "automatic" XJ front shaft on the rear of my 5" lift AW4 XJ with no issues. I guess if you had the D-44 or D-35 you may need the longer shaft.

Chances are you can get away with a t-case drop at 3". The main thing is to get the angles good, which may require some axle shims. You want the output of the t-case and the pinion to be close to parallel (the pinion should point about 1-2* lower, there will be some axle wrap under load, and this will correct the angle).

You will only need a longer driveshaft if there is not enough spline engagement, and there should be at that height.

And of course, the only way to know for sure is to go ahead and get a SYE and CV shaft.

Last edited:
moparjim1987 said:

I dont know where everyone is getting that the front shaft from a manual is longer than a front shaft from an auto...its the opposite.

I've posted this link so much I'm thinking about putting it in my sig line...

http://www.crownautomotive.net/catalog/axle/propeller_shafts2.html

you want a front shaft from an 89-01 XJ w/ AW4 - or a ZJ shaft if you have a manual tranny and/or D35 rear.

JNickel101 said:
I dont know where everyone is getting that the front shaft from a manual is longer than a front shaft from an auto...its the opposite.
Ummm, I'm pretty sure he is talking about REAR shafts.

Now if he had a SYE........

Everyone knows about Renix through 90 (ECU). Chrysler converted to their system in 91 and 92 (ECU + TCU). Changed in 93 and stayed until 95 (OBD I- PCM [combo of ECU and TCU]). 96 started with OBDII. If you try to buy some OBDI and OBDII scanners, they start with 93 and don't support 91/92.

Correct me if I am wrong.

98 was the last year for HP 30. Don't know when 8.25 was introduced. ABS requried D35.

As much as they are the same, they are different! Some other differences are power steering mounting, MAP location, Intake manifold, exhaust manifold, instrument cluster (91), head (91 with HO), front header panel (91), front axle wheel ujoint size, etc.

JNickel101 said:
]

you want a front shaft from an 89-01 XJ w/ AW4 - or a ZJ shaft if you have a manual tranny and/or D35 rear.
I have yet to put my SYE in and tracked down a front shaft from an 4.0/AW4 XJ. I was just going to lengthen it. right?

I have a '99 with an HP D30--I know they at least went through that year. Maybe they changed to LP in '00?

Back