• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need np242 really bad

mk153smaw

NAXJA Forum User
I just drove down here from Fort Worth and my transfer case litterally blew up. I am going to hit some local yards, but if any of you have one for cheap I would be much oblidged.

Dave

it is 11am sunday right now and I am currently searching

817 343 8619

wow, awsome man. I got with him and he is going to let it go for me on the cheap.

I love this club ;) I was very much in the poop shoot this morning looking at a 3" hole in my TC

Thanks for the help finding it.

Dave

Just sent a 87 waggy w/4.0, 242 and tranny, running. Stripped everything else off it and needed room for my Country parts car (near perfect cond) and my MJ that has been sitting since I got it 2 years ago. If i had it removed I would have let it go for zip just to get it out of my hair.

kemo, do a search on vjc, it seems like there were some 231's for sale a while back that might still be avl. It seems like Joe West had one, it's just that I found one cheaper.

I have one. I am up in flagstaff but will be in Mesa all day tomorrow. It is out of an 89 xj with an auto tranny (don't know if there are different spline counts on a 242). If you need it, I can throw it in the truck and bring it down with me. let me know. I'll be leaving at about 430 am. my phone number is 928-607-7753. give me a call if you are interested. I'll also check this post before I leave in the morning.

FLAGXJ said:
I have one. I am up in flagstaff but will be in Mesa all day tomorrow. It is out of an 89 xj with an auto tranny (don't know if there are different spline counts on a 242). If you need it, I can throw it in the truck and bring it down with me. let me know. I'll be leaving at about 430 am. my phone number is 928-607-7753. give me a call if you are interested. I'll also check this post before I leave in the morning.

There you are LOL, Ill be down on Tuesday if this does not work out

There are two spline counts on a 242 (just like 231) 21 spline up through 89-90, and 23 spline 89-90 & newer... somewhere into the 90s, Jeep went from a mechanical speedo drive (on the tailcone) to electrical. Pretty sure all 242s had an electric plug/connector for the 4WD dash light.

HTH

woody said:
There are two spline counts on a 242 (just like 231) 21 spline up through 89-90, and 23 spline 89-90 & newer... somewhere into the 90s, Jeep went from a mechanical speedo drive (on the tailcone) to electrical. Pretty sure all 242s had an electric plug/connector for the 4WD dash light.

HTH

Yep correct and the break was 90-91 same as the 231. I have a 90 242 in the XJ now and its 21 spline

I never new that. So, I went out and stabed the driveshaft in the one I got yesterday evening and it fit. Wow, that could have sucked ;)

The goal for today (monday) is to get the old one out and get the new one in. Lucky for me the neighbor used to be a full mechanic and specialized in ring and pinions! Talk about some luck.
Needless to say I will have a decent set of 3.55 gears, front HPD30 for anyone after this evening.

Back