• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heater aint too hot

droff85

NAXJA Forum User
well we got about 2 inches of snow here today and it was cold out riding in the mud and snow with no heat. I have a '88 XJ 4.0L and have replaced the heater core radiator and expansion tank recently since the previous owner only used water to fill it :skull2: luckly a freeze plug pushed out of the block before it cracked but any way. after I replaced all of these parts I thought that the heater would be nice and toasty but it aint. the fan blows hard out of the vents and the blend door is moving properly with the dash controls but I dont know what else to check:dunno: any help will be greatly appreciated.

The heater control valve might finally be shot. I think Napa sells them all metal around $60.

Flush out the heater core really good. There are some write up about how to do it with a garden hose.

LIke RMB said, check the valve. It will only take a couple of minutes. Copper204 and I pulled mine yesterday by accident (broke another part) while working on something else and I could not believe the crud that had welded itself inside there. There was no way it could move. In my case, it was stuck so the heater worked, but no cooler. I sure am glad I just paid the money to re-do my cooling system consiudering it may not even need it. The money's not the bad part...that will be my dad telling me, "Didn't I always teach you to check the easiest stuff first?"

thanks the heater valve was the problem. mine blew on me while i was checking it to see if it worked. luckily i only got burned were my watch was. i had a manual one left over from another project that never got used so I stuck it in and now the heater will run you out when it is 20 outside.

so does this mean even if you can watch the heater valve open and shut on the outside it may not be moving on the inside?

Back