• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's 9" Coils on Sale. Can I cut them to fit?

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Just like the title says. I'm currently running RE 4.5" ZJ Coils and 2" spacers. They are really old and really stiff. I always liked Rusty's coils and was wondering if I can get the 9" coils that are on sale and cut them to reach my desired level lift and ditch the spacers.

Thanks,

Todd

Yes. A shop here locally buys their coils in really long lengths and then cuts them to length as needed. I say go for it.

In the long run you would probably be better off with the Skyjacker 8" coils cut down to your length.

A better quality part to begin with.

If I remember correctly, that when you start cutting coils off your changing your spring rate.

cal said:
In the long run you would probably be better off with the Skyjacker 8" coils cut down to your length.

A better quality part to begin with.

What's the spring rate on these? They are double the price too.

some coils are variable rate coils, some are not, some are differnt spring rates in different sections of coils. easy way to tell? not really, but for our uses, they are probably not variable rate coils. variable rate coils means that within one coil loop, to compress 1 inch, it takes so much weight, and to compress it another inch, it takes twice as much weight. obviously i'm not useing numbers, just an example.

i highly doubt that rustys springs are variable rate in any way, usually that used in performace aplications where as you take a corner it gets harder to fully compress the spring.
off-road, as in where you are getting articulation, it's not harder to compress the spring past a certain point.

long story short, cut 'em.

If you cut a coil with a progressive spring rate, you might as well just throw the money in the trash to begin with. It's less labor intensive.

Moral of the story: Backyard mod's produce backyard results.

NHxj4x4 said:
That's interesting, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks
Yes, cutting coils will increase the spring rate and make them stiffer. Cutting a spring in half will increase the stiffness by something like 40%.

I had RE ZJ 4.5" coils and 2" spacers. and now run Rustys 6.5" coils (no spacer). Why not run those? I fit 37 claws.

Huge ride improvement. Had RE 4.5" w/ 2" spacers setup for years and years.

Chris @ GATR said:
If you cut a coil with a progressive spring rate, you might as well just throw the money in the trash to begin with. It's less labor intensive.

Moral of the story: Backyard mod's produce backyard results.

If it's a non-progressive spring you can cut them without any problems.

Moral of the story: Backyard mod's can produce great results. Just ask Goatman...

Coil spring rate for a constant coil: k=(d^4*G)/(8*D^3*N)
where G is a material property, d is the coil diameter and D is the diameter of the spring.

N is the number of coils. Looking at the equation you can see that cutting the spring down will increase the spring rate.

IIRC goatman was looking for a stiffer coil so he took the 8" skyjacker (220lb/in) and cut it down to stiffen it.

If you don't mind a stiffer spring i say go for it, from what i've read rusty's coils are a little soft to begin with anyway

Back