• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

max tire for 4.25 backset

jeepthrills

NAXJA Forum User
I know this subject has been beat to death ,but I searched and could'nt find an answer to this . what is the biggest tire I can use on a xj with no lift using 15" x 7" cragar soft 8's with 4.25 inch backset.With no rubbing .

Last edited:
jeepthrills said:
I know this subject has been beat to death ,but I searched and could'nt find an answer to this . what is the biggest tire I can use on a xj with no lift using 15" cragar soft 8's with 4.25 inch backset.With no rubbing .
i assume you dont want to trim.

in that case 235/75/r15 if you want no rubbing at all, and 30's if you dont mind a little bit of rubbing every now and again.

-Kyle

PS - it is referred to as BS (Backspacing)

depends on the condition of your suspension components. You can set the steering stops so you won't rub your control arms, but if your suspension is sagging you may rub on your fenders when you turn and go over bumps.
Follow this guideline as posted on the FAQ page, this is from Ed A Stevens post;
"The best and easiest measurements are the simple axle centerline to flare height (stock non-Upcountry/Chief Front -- about 17 1/2 inches, stock Rear about 17 inches). These are the approximate stock heights obtained with the measurement help of Chris Pigeon <[email protected]> & David Windle <[email protected]> on the XJ-list. I have found no better quick method to settle lift height comparisons. My 88' currently (Jan 1999) sits at 21 7/8 and 21 3/8 inch, front/rear respectively.

jeepthrills said:
your right i dont want to trim, when would the 30's rub , off-road only or even on the street (driveways,dips and such) . backspacing,right thanks!

probably a bit from everyday driving but more so when wheeling.

-Kyle

you could just do a cheap budget boost. Go get some coil spacers and shackles and maybe a track bar drop bracket(I dont know I just bought an adjustable) and then run 30s or maybe even 31s

Back