• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing Ujoints in front axle

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
I just removed the axle shaft from my 89 jeep cherokee to remove and replace the ujoint.

but im stuck here, I dont really know how to remove the ujoint? im trying to remove the clip on the inside and it doesnt want to move?

Ive been looking at picture on how do to this, is a ujoint press needed for this job or can i do it without?

thanks

James

CLips removed first, YOU pound on a wooden workbench using a socket on the end of the cap, with the yoke elevated off the bench with 2x4 block, then pound one cap inward with a socket of proper size, and the U joint will move in and push the other cap outward. Then keep pounding until the opposite cap is pounded out. Once it gets close, pull it out with vice grips.

Then pound the opposite direction, using a long deep well smaller socket pounding the capless greasy stub inward... pushing the oppisite cap outward, until the u joint has enough slop to wiggle it out of the yoke ends.

Repear for the other two caps, this same process.

Pound inward, moving joint across until cap can be removed.
Pound oppisite direction with longer socket pushing other cap out.

The sockets can be damaged, use Craftsman so you can return them.

TO INSTALL NEW UJOINTS:
Remove all 4 new caps carefully not to disrupt any roller bearings or get dirty.
Then press cap one at a time into the clean yoke hole.
use a big vice to gently press the cap inward. SLide U Joint into the yoke at an angle
and put ONE STUB into the NEW CAP which has been started into the hole.
Line it up, and insert the stub into the cap without moving any bearings.

THen insert opposite cap into the other yoke hole, and pressing both caps slowly
onto the joint, making sure they line up with both stubs.
Once both caps are pressed inward about 1/2 way, the stubs should be supported
and lined up... check to make sure everything is smooth and straight.

Now just finish pressing the rest of the way in the vice.
CLIPS GO FLYING, THEY ARE SPRING LOADED! WEAR GLASSES!!
Finish of by pounding on the workbench the caps to seat the CLIP GROOVE
install the clip one side at a time useing needle nose and a flat screwdriver to punch
the clips into the groove. DONT PUNCTURE THE RUBBER GREASE BOOT!

The caps/bearings are now in place, pounding to seat
the caps/clips won't harm anything. Once both caps are in place, and the clips are on
TEST TO MAKE SURE the joint works smoothly. It might be tight, that's fine.

If a roller gets moved and out of place, the cap won't seat right!!
They should seat very easily and smoothly onto the greasy new U joint stubs.

Repeat for the other two caps.

TACK WELD THE CAPS FROM THE OUTSIDE TO THE YOKE TO PREVENT
THE CAPS EVER COMING LOOSE!

Last edited:
im having such a hard time getting the C clip off..none of the clips will move at all..they seem to be rusted to the ujoint..ive been trying wit pliers for an hour!!!!!!!!!

does anyone have any tricks to remove the C clips from a 20 year old ujoint?

thanks

Try putting a smaller socket on top of clip and tap with a hammer.Sometimes that will take the pressure off of the clip.Then do the same to the clip on the other side.

Use a 1/16 inch pin punch to pound on the end of the c-clip like you are trying to spin it around the cap. That usually breaks it loose, or breaks it in pieces if it's really rusted on. Make sure you get all the pieces of the c-clip out of the groove, or you'll never remove the cap.

YOu gotta use a flat heat screwdriver and at the open end of the C clip, whack the driver with a hammer getting the flat tip under the Clip PRYING the clip upward. Most of the time they break.
Don't use pliars, use a screwdriver & hammer first, a thin, flat tip works well.

The Clip will break in half usually.

ON SECOND THOUGHT... I dont' think you're going to be able to do this, if you can't get the C CLips off.

I just did mine yesterday, and I used a small flat head and hammer to get the C clips off. One of them was being really stubborn, and it finally broke in half.

Back