• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange question about trip for people who've been

jeep4play2000

NAXJA Forum User
I'm deathly afraid of heights. To the point where driving on bridges, overpasses, sky-ways etc., really affect me. A lot of times, I will have to pull over and let someone else drive across a long bridge or something like that...:anon:
So, here's my question. Would a person like me be able to enjoy Moab? Or is that area too mountainous and hilly for me to enjoy? I would love to go, but some of the pictures I have seen make me second guess it...

Good question.

You can enjoy it. There's plenty to do, pick the right trails, these are from my memory and I have only been there twice.

Onion creek has one 50' bridge, but it's mostly just a graded road with a few <1' deep wet crossings.

Chicken Corners only has the one thin spot maybe the last 250', but you don't have to drive all the way because beyond that squeeze there is not much left. You can stop at Hurrah Pass which is about the 2/3rds point and turn around.

Getting to Gemini Bridges from the bottom requires driving on a shelf for about .5 mile (and it will be on the drivers side).

Long Canyon (going downhill) the steepest part is right at pucker pass, it's short steep with a sharp turn to the right about 3/4s the way down. The road is wider than the shelf section leading up to Gemini Bridges and when driving you are concentrating on what's in front of you not whats out the passenger door. It's scenic.

Rightseatsis took me through Bartlett Wash and it's flat.

Take a day and drive up through Arches NP, 95% of the roads are paved, sunset is gorgeous, but then you'll be missing the evening activities kicking off at Slick Rock.

I would stay off Fins and Things, there are places where you look out either door to nothing but sky. The upper part of Schaffer Road switchbacks and the shelf road out to Musselman Arch are narrow. The drop of is on both sides of the vehicle.

Purchase the book from FunTreks, Inc recommended by HandleBars and sidriptide "Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4wd Trails" by Charles A. Wells I paid the extra $5 to get the spiral bound version, arrived yesterday and I am really enjoying it. It has and will influence my trail selection, I am leaning towards the trails SE of town in the La Sal Mtns.

See you there.
Tom

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll check out that book. Wheeling Moab is something I would really like to do. Wayne, you say it will cure my fear, is that because it's so awesome out there, or because you're forced to deal with the heights, or both?

There are plenty of trails that won't bother you, and there are plenty of trails that will. Talking with people about the trails should get you enough info to decide which ones you want to do.

Others that you should be able to do are Poison Spider/Golden Spike, which has a couple climbs but you should be OK. 7 Mile Rim and Tusher Tunnel should be fine, but I'd stay away from Moab Rim and Hell's Revenge.

If you can drive Shaffer Trail, it will cure your fear of heights. :)

jeep4play2000 said:
I'm deathly afraid of heights. To the point where driving on bridges, overpasses, sky-ways etc., really affect me. A lot of times, I will have to pull over and let someone else drive across a long bridge or something like that...
It is worth bringing someone along that is happy to swap seats with you if you get uneasy. Make sure you also bring a camera to take some pictures when you are on foot or not driving. My friend's girlfriend always used to get out of their Jeep to walk whenever anything tricky was happening, she has taken some great pictures.

If you cannot bring a friend that wants to share the driving with you. Let your trail leader know before you set off. They may place you in front of the 'tailgunner' so someone can give you some help if you need it at your own speed without the added pressure of having people behind you.

i've always been creeped out by heights but a week in Moab is great therapy! tunnel vision helps a great deal when on shelf roads and slow is just fine. when i get near an edge i stay back about 7', my theory is that i would have to fall down TWICE before i go over the edge. hey it works for me!! the best part of being scared is you get to enjoy alot more adrenaline than everybody else with alot less actual risk.

jeep4play2000 said:
Thanks, I'll check out that book. Wheeling Moab is something I would really like to do. Wayne, you say it will cure my fear, is that because it's so awesome out there, or because you're forced to deal with the heights, or both?

I would say it's a little of both. The first day or two you'll be nervous but then you'll get the hang of it and enjoy the scenery and the company.

I used to be afraid of height as well (though, not as severely as you seem to be) Forcing myself to wheel around Moab and the San Juans has pretty much cured most of my fears.....it wasn't easy at first, and I had to force myself to drive places I was uncomfortable with, but in the end, it was worth it :)

I really don't like heights either. Last October, I ran Cliffhanger. While, it was a fun trail, I don't think I'd do it again. ;)

But there are plenty of trails that don't involve heights.

IMG_1245.jpg

Thanks for all the insight guys, I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to try and go. I just have to find a capable co-pilot to go with me. Shouldn't be too hard though, plenty of time.
As far as fear being healthy, I completely agree. But there is a difference between being afraid and being paralyzed due to a fear which could make it worse for all!
Again, thanks for all the great suggestions and comments!

jeep4play2000 said:
there is a difference between being afraid and being paralyzed due to a fear which could make it worse for all!

Takes an awfully brave person to admit that here. I'd like to share a cold one with you in Slickrock.

Might want to avoid Hey Joe Canyon, Porcupine Rim, Hells Revenge, Kane Creek, the White Rim, Mineral Bottom. But to do Cane Creek or Hurrah pass/chicken corners wich was mentioned, first long before those trails even start, driving out on Kane Creek Road you will have to face your fears as the shelf road climbs up past the start of Cliffhanger and then down a steep tight cliffside shelf that suddenly narrows and drops down a sharp double switchback. It's not uncommon to encounter a little traffic there!

Hey Joe shelf road start

Hey Joe shelf road, half way down.

Kane Creek shelf

Hells Revenge, driving right above the black hole still makes me nervous.

The top of the world trail would be good as at the end you don't have to drive up close to the cliff, you park a little ways off and walk over. You would also be ok going out to Tusher Tunnel wich is close to Bartlett Wash. Klondike bluffs wouldn't be too bad either, off camber but no cliff exposure (without hiking into the park). Plenty of oppurtunity to face your fears though.

Handlebars said:
Don't worry! I used to be afraid of heights too. Some good Moab immersion therepy was the cure.

orig.jpg

Boy, my fear of height spider senses are tingling just looking at that! Cool pic though.

Handlebars said:
Don't worry! I used to be afraid of heights too. Some good Moab immersion therepy was the cure.

orig.jpg

:D

Here I am, calm cool and collected on Cliffhanger:

Dang Jes for getting one more photo as I passed by...

Man that picture and the one with the crazy guy standing on the edge, literally make my stomach turn and get me kind of panicy... You guys are nuts... lol

Reminds me of the time handlebars spotted me up to this edge (while standing in front) and almost lost his balance! sweaty palms I tell you.

Another cliffhanger scene, and handlebars making me nervous again.

Back