• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel alignment

Bored400

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

Just finished putting in the new front axle u-joints, a very simple procedure thanks to all of you and the multiple write up links that I consulted. Many thanks. Here's my Q though: 89 xj, 4.0, auto...all the standard stuff...I've now replaced my track bar and both axle u joints but I'm still getting a popping sound from the front end. I'm wondering if wheel alignment doesnt have something to do with this. I gave the beastie a 2.5" lift and I'm running 30x9.5x15's. I've checked for rub, and I have none on the street and damn little in the hills. Seems like the wheels arent tracking right though. When I max the steering out it lopes and hops a little on the front end. Have any of you done an alignment yourselves? Also, could that explain the popping sound or should I start looking at tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.?
Thanks much boys,
Bob

Bored400 said:
Hey guys,

Just finished putting in the new front axle u-joints, a very simple procedure thanks to all of you and the multiple write up links that I consulted. Many thanks. Here's my Q though: 89 xj, 4.0, auto...all the standard stuff...I've now replaced my track bar and both axle u joints but I'm still getting a popping sound from the front end. I'm wondering if wheel alignment doesnt have something to do with this. I gave the beastie a 2.5" lift and I'm running 30x9.5x15's. I've checked for rub, and I have none on the street and damn little in the hills. Seems like the wheels arent tracking right though. When I max the steering out it lopes and hops a little on the front end. Have any of you done an alignment yourselves? Also, could that explain the popping sound or should I start looking at tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.?
Thanks much boys,
Bob

I vote balljoints.......

I do all of my Jeeps alignments myself with a tape measure(done a couple trail side!). I think your issue may be either a ball joint, loose shock(no joke I have seen it happen) or a unproperly torqued control arm. Have someone get in the jeep and work the wheel back and forth and take a look/listen. If you find nothing there, then jack up under each side of the axle and watch/listen for something.

Hope that helps!

what your describing sound exactly like a loose stearing box. there are two bolts holding it on that you can access in the drivers side wheel well. i think they require a 13/16th wrench. anyway, if these are at all loose, even a quarter turn loose, you will hear a popping noise. couldn't hurt to check!

Sizzler said:
what your describing sound exactly like a loose stearing box. there are two bolts holding it on that you can access in the drivers side wheel well. i think they require a 13/16th wrench. anyway, if these are at all loose, even a quarter turn loose, you will hear a popping noise. couldn't hurt to check!

Exactly what I was saying, have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and watch for loose stuff. It could be anything!

It just dawned on me, did you put in a adjustable track bar or another stocker. If it is adjustable and you changed the track of the front end then you will need to adjust the toe in and after the tow in is adjusted(I set it to 0, no toe in at all) then you will need to re-center the steering wheel by adjusting the drag link(the adjustment sleeve nearest the steering box).

Back