• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I just got an 8.8, now to regear

JIMBOJAMES

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have just got an 8.8 today real cheap(under a $100), out of a 97 explorer with 3.55 gears. The only thing is I need new calibers and new rotors. The million dollar question is should I spend the money on getting someone to regear it or should I regear myself?

Well can you regear it yourself? Would you feel comfortable doing it? Do you have the tools to do it? You know what they say....If you have to ask........

You'd probably need to spend just as much on tools (if you did it yourself) as labor (if someone else did it for you), most likely more. If you're only going to set up your own diffs, it might not be worth it. But if you want to take it on, more power to you.

I would have it set up becuase your looking at upwards of 400 dollars for the correct tools for the job. Setup labor should not be that much. If you feel the need to do it yourself, there not very hard to set up at all. I'm a Ford tech and I do 2-3 a month but having the right tools for pinion depth and a large selection of carrier bearing shims in my tool box makes all the differance. Additionally I would pull your axle shafts out and inspect the area were the axle bearing and seal ride make sure the hardening is not coming off the axle shafts and there is not a groove from the seal. If ok just replace the axle bearings and the seals. These have alot of problems on explorers, especially high mileage ones. good luck
Ryan

Back