• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive Shaft Q,?

tim500

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have a 1991 xj, was wondering if i could use the stock front drive shaft in the rear untill i have the funds to have one custom made. I have the advanced adapters slip yolk eliminator, putting in a 8.8 out of a full size bronco, and a rock krawler 6.5" lift. definatly not going to be permanent, it's my only car for the time being and i cant afford to have it down for too long.

I think the rear shafts are longer...because the manual tranny is shorter...but then that makes the front shaft shorter...

Tim500, measure how long you need, and find appropriate shaft on the chart. Remember, measurement on the chart is the fully collaped length of the shaft. Hope that helps!

i have a front auto XJ shaft in the rear of my jeep...fits perfect for me having 8" lift and 37"s..

anyone know the length of a Front auto XJ shaft? i dont have time to drive 30 miels to where my jeep is right now to measure :(

JNickel101 said:
I think the rear shafts are longer...because the manual tranny is shorter...but then that makes the front shaft shorter...

Tim500, measure how long you need, and find appropriate shaft on the chart. Remember, measurement on the chart is the fully collaped length of the shaft. Hope that helps!

thats what it was.

TO chris: check out the link JNickel101 provided, it shows the compressed lengith of the DS but i dont know about the extended.

-Kyle

I GUESS MY NEXT QUESTION IS THE 8.8 USES A FLANGE INSTED OF A YOLK, DOES THE FLANGE HAVE THE SAME SIZE U-JOINT OR COULD I GET A YOLK INSTEAD OF THE FLANGE. ITS OUT OF A 95 BRONCO, I WORK AT A FORD DEALER IM JUST HAVING TROUBLE FINDING THE RIGHT APLICATION IF IT EVEN EXISTS.

ChrisRFewell said:
i have a front auto XJ shaft in the rear of my jeep...fits perfect for me having 8" lift and 37"s..

anyone know the length of a Front auto XJ shaft? i dont have time to drive 30 miels to where my jeep is right now to measure :(

check the crownautomative link above. it tells you.

Yep, I have a TW shaft but I carry a spare stock front XJ shaft(automatic) as a spare front or rear on the trail. It has saved the day a time or two.

Honestly I think the front shaft is just as strong as the TW!

Last edited:
those of you using a stock front xj shaft on 6-8in. of lift did you lengthen your driveshaft i have a 6.5in of lift on mine with a stock xj dana 44 and just installed a RE hack n tap and have a stock front driveshaft from a auto xj and its about 2-3in to short

mustangconv85 said:
those of you using a stock front xj shaft on 6-8in. of lift did you lengthen your driveshaft i have a 6.5in of lift on mine with a stock xj dana 44 and just installed a RE hack n tap and have a stock front driveshaft from a auto xj and its about 2-3in to short
I'm at 5" and have the 8.25(haven't broke it yet, no need to change)so the stock shaft fits fine for me. Try a ZJ front shaft, I think they are longer but I do not know how much.

Back