• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TB Spacer and K&N Intake @#^$%#

Rasty1

NAXJA Forum User
What after market intake are people using with a TB spacer??

I just fired up my STROKER engine for the first time :roll: and it fired right away and sounds great. To feed it I went with a 62mm TB and TB spacer with a K&N after market intake.
Problem is the intake hits the hood and you can't close it. Anyone using any other aftermarket intake with a TB spacer and are able to close the hood??
Thanks for any help.

unfortunately it's just not going to happen with the k&n fipk and tb spacer. i'm in the same boat, i may cut out the hood a little and try to find a small scoop that doesn't look too retarded.

I have a airraid TB spacer and a full tube intake from ebay. I had to trim about a 1/2 inch from the "L" shaped boot that attaches to the TB.

Throw a few washers under the hood hinges to raise the hood and let heat out. I think you can adjust the front up enough that it won't looked jacked also.

I also have the Airaid TB spacer and K&N intake and had the same problem. The way that I fixed it may have slowed the performance a little bit, but it works now. What I did was where the intake meets the throttle body, I heated the area around the hole that connects to the intake with a torch and pushed it up into the intake a little bit. (hope that makes sense) This therefore lowered the intake toward the TB. The only problem I ran into with this is that the clamp that holds the intake to the rubber was hard to tighten so I had to use a little bit of RTV and the clamp to hold the rubber to the intake. Works like a charm. Hope my ghetto engineering helps some.

if it wasn't done too badly that's a decent solution. i'm going to take it all apart, lay it out, and see what i can do with it this weekend. if i can come up with something useful, i'll post my idea.

I had this problem on my TJ and i had to come up with a way to close the hood. I got rid of the intake tube that comes out of the TB and replaced it with the flex hose that we use for our washer/dryers. It worked out great for 3 years through alot of mudding too. It allows you to place the filter whereever you want, high or low, left or right. You could paint the (normally silver) flex hose black and it'll look somewhat stock.

stuff like this:

http://www.dundasjafine.com/products/flexible/aluminum.html

Did any of you actually notice a power gain from the spacer?

hood spacers. helps underhood cooling too.

Really? Never noticed...you dont use a 2" spacer. Half inch will do it.

JNickel101 said:
Really? Never noticed...you dont use a 2" spacer. Half inch will do it.

Yeah it may just be my opinion but seeing a hood not lined up with the rest of the fenders looks odd, like it was in an accident. I saw one propped up 2" and it looked ridiculous. I think hood vents would be better.

muddeprived said:
Yeah it may just be my opinion but seeing a hood not lined up with the rest of the fenders looks odd, like it was in an accident. I saw one propped up 2" and it looked ridiculous. I think hood vents would be better.

x2. Or cowl

Toss the spacer. You got a stroker for the power, a claimed extra hp for the spacer isn't worth the hassle.

I haven't read a dyno run yet showing power from the spacer, a '99 manifold does more - 4 hp - so I might pick up one of those for my stroker build if I can get it dirt cheap.

mine is barely a half inch spacer. you can hardly tell, but its enough to break the "seal" at the rear of the hood.

CustomCrawler said:
x2. Or cowl

Sure, if you wanna buy a $500 hood...

Back