• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skinny tires and Fat rims OK?

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
I currently only have one set of rims, and a set of 31x10.5x15 pro comp MTs that need to be mounted. I found a great deal on a set of steelies, but they are 15x10.
These tires are pretty much dedicated for trails only.

Will the 10.5 inch tires mount to the 10 inch rims? Am I asking to lose a bead every few feet? really, the combo only needs to get me through this weekend's ride. No high mileage or continual wheeling on them (unless they work out).

Hell.. Ive got 30x9.5 mounted on my 15x10 right now, discount tire mounted them no problem. Its not pretty though i`ll tell you that, especially under 8" of lift!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

If you're doing it to get by for the weekend, have at it. Don't drop your pressure too terribly much and you'll be fine. I got by on some 31x10.5 MT's on 15x10's for a couple months of wheelin in mud so I never aired them down past 20 and all was fine. Speed, have you ever actually done this yourself or are you just posting to watch yourself type?

Hey big98, what pressure do you usually run them at offroad? Trails or mud? I think that Ill "air down" to 22psi or so and use a little extra skinny pedal to get over stuff.

I ran 33x9.5 on 15x8 and you ca ask BORTON how much trouble I had with them....even with the 8" rim you are over exposing teh sidewall...on BOW 2 years ago I went through 5 tires in 5 trails because of too wide of rim

I run 30x9.50's on a 15x9 rim. Aired it down to 17 and had no probs. Yet. BUt just because I can get away with it doesnt mean anyone else should try.

i run 265/70R15 on a 15x10 at 30 psi for mud and running tight fire lanes and have had no prob...yet. i have het logs, stumps, rocks and dirtbike whoops and had no prob.

skog

btw a 265/70R15 according to the bridgestone webpage (because they are revos) is approx 29.6x10.6 with a tread width of 7.8. The webpage also states the the rims is approved for 7" to 9" rims in width so i dont feel as though an extra inch is that bad as along as i dont air down

Read his post folks

the combo only needs to get me through this weekend's ride. No high mileage or continual wheeling on them

Would I run them for a long time, NO. Would I do it for a weekend to get out and play with my junk, YES.

It's really easy to spend other peoples money and soak up their time, but tell me you've never done anything questionable so that you can wheel for the weekend.

If you're blowing tires off, think of it as a good practice for when you have this problem later on down the road :D

Sean

dont worry its only temporary!:D Got some new SSRs that need to be mounted!

Thanks for the replies. I really only needed to know if it was actually possible to stick a 31x10.5 onto a 10 inch rim. Ill let you guys know how it turns out (and how many beads I lose!).

If anyone else has any words/ideas/experience, keep it coming.

I ran 235/75s on a 15X8 for almost 1.5 years...

tore the sh1t outta my sidewalls, scraped and dented the fawk outta the wheels, but never lost a bead :D

Back